Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

ceiling fan not working

I installed a ceiling fan. Light works but the fan does not. Already spend 4 days putting this thing together. I do not know in what country this thing was made at it must be somewhere where they do not like Americans because of the unbelievable instructions they include. One has to be from outer space or spaced out to understand them!

Anja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

ceiling fan not working

First thing to check is the reversing switch. If it is stuck between settings, it will render the fan inoperative. Move it from one position to the other and see if that has any effect.

How many wires did you connect in the ceiling box? Did you leave any out, or loose?

Are you dealing with wall switch control, or pull-chains? Or a combination of both?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

ceiling fan not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
First thing to check is the reversing switch. If it is stuck between settings, it will render the fan inoperative. Move it from one position to the other and see if that has any effect.

How many wires did you connect in the ceiling box? Did you leave any out, or loose?

Are you dealing with wall switch control, or pull-chains? Or a combination of both?
I second the (e)motion! As far as the Asia-originating "Instructions" are concerned. They DO loves us. But Their English is laughable. No matter what.Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #4

ceiling fan not working

Step 1. check the fan b4 you hang it on the ceiling hook. is it wokring...rotating..(remove fan blades b4 you do this,.)
step 2. ceiling fan usually come with 2 switches mounted in them. 1 for ON/OFF and speed and other for direction. check if both swithes are functioning properly.
step 3. check the wire you are connecting it in the celing box. After turning the switch ON, does it have required amount of voltage as it must be in paralal with the light which you are using (if it is not a seprate switch for the celing fan only.
step 4. if you have electricity there, connect it and it should work....(turn OFF breaker bf you connect)...
dont care if you dont know english or if it is not your first language as soos as you acn describe you question..and us did it rightly...lol
k2hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #5

ceiling fan not working

Step 1. check the fan b4 you hang it on the ceiling hook. is it wokring...rotating..(remove fan blades b4 you do this,.)
step 2. ceiling fan usually come with 2 switches mounted in them. 1 for ON/OFF and speed and other for direction. check if both swithes are functioning properly.
step 3. check the wire you are connecting it in the celing box. After turning the switch ON, does it have required amount of voltage as it must be in paralal with the light which you are using for this conection (if it is not a seprate switch for the celing fan only)
step 4. if you have electricity there, connect it and it should work....(turn OFF breaker bf you connect)...
dont care if you dont know english or if it is not your first language as soos as you acn describe you question..and us did it rightly...lol
k2hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

ceiling fan not working

You could give us some more details on how you wired this thing up. Most of the time it's because the pullchain for the fan is in the off position and you simply have to pull the chain. If it's still not working, give us some more info on exactly what you did and we can go from there.
Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
ms

Send a message via Yahoo to suezette13
Question

ceiling fan not working

I have checked and rechecked the wiring, blue and black wire to black wire, white to white and grounding to grounding. The fan work but the light doesn't work. Is it time to call an electrican?
suezette13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

ceiling fan not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezette13 View Post
I have checked and rechecked the wiring, blue and black wire to black wire, white to white and grounding to grounding. The fan work but the light doesn't work. Is it time to call an electrican?
I'm not trying to be facetious. But, did you check the light bulb. It happened to me. Failing that, you should consider calling an electrician! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,004

ceiling fan not working

Anja stated: "Light works but the fan does not."
Then suzette13 stated: "The fan work but the light doesn't work."
UH, what's going on here? Are Anja and suzette13 the same person?
It does sound as if it is wired correctly. The switches would be my first thing to check also. The do come "bad" straight out of the box. IF there is a wall switch involved, by all means make sure it is "ON". If you have a way to do so, and know how, check for power to the wires at the ceiling box. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
ms

ceiling fan not working

I changed out the bulb with a new one, I tried the buld in another lamp and it worked.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
ms

ceiling fan not working

No we are not the same.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #12

ceiling fan not working

Thanks everyone for the info. We had to take the whole thing back because it was broken!

Anja is offline   Reply With Quote