Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan mystery

I just installed a new 60" ceiling fan to a existing 5 ft or so down rod that operates by remote only. I found that I am getting 120v from the black and white wire coming down through the rod and hooked the fan up to it and no lights or fan work. I dont have a 16 ft ladder to get to the canopy but im hoping it was done right before. There is a blue wire coming down through the rod but I checked the junction box im the attic and it is not hooked up so I believe I dont need it anyhow being im getting 120v juice to my fan. Another anomaly is when i test the wires connected to fan and power its only reading 20-30v? I am at a loss as to why this is not working. The existing fan did not work but I assumed it was a burned up motor being it was getting juice or a bad remote which by the way I made triple sure my dip switches on my new fan and remote are exact. Could any 1 give me a pointer...Thanks a million

ericntx76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

Ceiling fan mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericntx76 View Post
I just installed a new 60" ceiling fan to a existing 5 ft or so down rod that operates by remote only. I found that I am getting 120v from the black and white wire coming down through the rod and hooked the fan up to it and no lights or fan work. I dont have a 16 ft ladder to get to the canopy but im hoping it was done right before. There is a blue wire coming down through the rod but I checked the junction box im the attic and it is not hooked up so I believe I dont need it anyhow being im getting 120v juice to my fan. Another anomaly is when i test the wires connected to fan and power its only reading 20-30v? I am at a loss as to why this is not working. The existing fan did not work but I assumed it was a burned up motor being it was getting juice or a bad remote which by the way I made triple sure my dip switches on my new fan and remote are exact. Could any 1 give me a pointer...Thanks a million
My first hunch would be an open neutral! You will likely need to get a 16' ladder and check out the wiring there.
The clue is that the original fan didn't work, either!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

Ceiling fan mystery

posting some pics would help. is the junction box accessible from the attic - might avoid the 16 foot ladder problem
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

Ceiling fan mystery

I tried climbing through attic but for a big man like me its a slow and tedious experience .... So when I take measurements is it to both the black and white wire or do I use ground from metal frame ?then look at both the white and black seperatly
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Ceiling fan mystery

If you can't reach the box the fan is mounted to, how are you metering the wires? There normally isn't anywhere to meter the fan wiring (black) at the fan itself without taking the whole fan apart.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Ceiling fan mystery

Is the new fan on a remote too? Is it the same one the old one was using?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

Ceiling fan mystery

I have a 12 foot ladder and used it to get up to bottom of the down rod which all ready had the existing wiring coming through. Being that the canopy and down rod already matched color I didn't want to change them out either
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Ceiling fan mystery

so you have splices in the downrod?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Ceiling fan mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
so you have splices in the downrod?

If that the case the OP did done that way., That is a major no-no on that set up.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #10

Ceiling fan mystery

what wire in the fan did you connect to the black and white that have 120 volts? try connecting a light to the wires and see if it works.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote