Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ceiling fan lights dim after being turned on.

Hi,

I recently installed a new ceiling fan that utilizes four 40 watt incandescent bulbs. The fan came with 4 frosted bulbs which I installed. I found that these bulbs didn't provide enough light, so I switched them out with 4 clear 40 watt incandescent ceiling fan bulbs. The lights are connected to a dimmer light switch on the wall. Now when I switch on the lights with the dimmer at maximum brightness, the bulbs are initially brighter than the old bulbs, but after five seconds, it's as if they lose power and dim down about 30% and stay at that level, no flickering or brightening/dimming. This happens every time I turn the light on. I haven't had the fan operating at any time when this happens. Any ideas on the cause?

Goodtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

The electrical characteristics of the dimmer mechanism might be drifting due to heat buildup. Some heat is always generated in the dimmer and the greater the load, the warmer it gets.

If you jiggle the dimmer control, do the lights come back full strength?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

If I turn the dimmer all the way down and then turn it all the way up, the bulbs will go back to their original brightness, but then suddenly dim about 30% after 5 seconds. As I was just testing this, I noticed that after turning the dimmer down and then up, the bulbs make a faint buzzing which ceases when they dim down. Also, when I turn the dimmer all the way down and leave it down, the filaments pulse on and off with a buzzing sound and I can also hear what sounds like a faint tapping sound in the dimmer switch that is synchronized with the pulsing of the filaments. Could the fan be connected improperly? I connected it just the same as the one I replaced.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
Mad Scientist

Modern ceiling fans include a power-limiting circuit to prevent your from using more than a certain total wattage of lights. The symptom you describe is exactly what will happen if the circuit detects more than that set wattage; it will reduce the power to the bulbs by rapidly switching them on and off, faster than the human eye can see.

My guess is that bulbs you put in are actually higher wattage than the originals. Perhaps the originals were "40-watt equivalent"? I.e. they put out the same light as a 40-watt bulb but actually consume less power.

Either that or the bulbs you replaced them with are actually greater than 40 watts. For reference, I think the fan I recently installed at my house has a wattage limit of 180 watts. Anything above that will cause it to either dim, or shut off entirely.

Some weird new energy-saving law, I think.

Hope this helps.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Try another dimmer, or replace it with a simple wall switch.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 16

Just for kicks, what happens if you unscrew one (or unscrew two) of the bulbs.

The way modern dimmers operate (by altering the waveform of alternating current to be different from a smooth sine wave), bulb filaments can buzz at certain brightnesses corresponding to certain waveforms.

What is the wattage rating for the dimmer switch?

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-08-2009 at 08:52 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #7

I'll try unscrewing a bulb or two and see what happens and I'll also try to find out what the wattage rating is for the dimmer switch.

Might try to find another dimmer switch as was suggested just replace it with a regular switch.

I'll also check the fan specifications for wattage limitation and try replacing the bulbs with 30 watt bulbs, if they are available.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions.