Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ceiling fan lights

I want to modify a ceiling fan to allow for a different type of light socket. Want to change from the E type bulb (tear drop) to a standard type bulb. The wire to the existing sockets is 18 Awg. Can I just put in a ceramic standard socket as long as I limit to 60 watt bulbs each? Seems that everything in the fan and lite assembly is only 18 gauge, and old E type (2) were rated for 60 watts, so seems I should be ale to go with 60 watt standard sockets.

remnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
rbj

Ceiling fan lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by remnam View Post
I want to modify a ceiling fan to allow for a different type of light socket. Want to change from the E type bulb (tear drop) to a standard type bulb. The wire to the existing sockets is 18 Awg. Can I just put in a ceramic standard socket as long as I limit to 60 watt bulbs each? Seems that everything in the fan and lite assembly is only 18 gauge, and old E type (2) were rated for 60 watts, so seems I should be ale to go with 60 watt standard sockets.
Modifying a listed fixture by rewiring is not acceptable in liable insurance claims and inspection buyoffs. A listed retrofit device if available is the best way to upgrade. I personally would not modify a fan/luminaire assembly.

rbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #3

Ceiling fan lights

So I guess I just need to throw this fan away and get a new one? Since the cost of a new light assembly - if one is available - would cost about as much as the fan new, I guess I just trash it and buy again paying better attention to what type of lighting come with it?
remnam is offline   Reply With Quote