Ceiling Fan/Light Kit Operation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ceiling Fan/Light Kit Operation

I have two Hampton Bay outdoor fans with light kit (came with the fan), remote and two pull chains each. There is no wall switch. The fans are about 4 yrs old. I've always used the remote to operate both fans. One fan/light stopped responding to the remote the other night because one of the chains was pulled (I think). To troubleshoot, I pulled one of the chains on the fan that was still working, and it stopped and the light turned off. Now, this fan is off and will not respond to the remote. Pulling either chain has no effect. Remote battery is new and the LED light on the remote works when the button is pushed. Changing the remote DIP switch positions has no effect. The fans have power. Any thoughts as to what the problem is? Isn't one chain for controlling fan speed and the other for switching the light on/off? I've never used the chains, as the remote has always controlled all functions.
Thanks

Advertisement

pgr380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Is it possible that pulling on the chain turns on the light (or fan) manually, so to speak and that a second pull appears to turn them off but they are really in 'remote' mode, off to the eye but able to be turned on by remote?

I think you have an easy but frustrating problem that will require patient trial and error testing. Make sure DIP switch positions match between sender (remote) and receiver (fan).

Can you find manual online?

Advertisement

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

If it has worked in the past and NO ONE has flipped the switch off, fan has power, and you have played with the chains, i think it's the remote
jddavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

It does make sense that one of the chain positions is "remote". Even though I've previously pulled on the chain repeatedly while pressing the remote without results, I'll give it another try. I've found manuals on the Home Depot site, but I can't locate the model I have.
pgr380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

Write down the positions of the dip switches.

Move each of the dip switches back and forth twice and then put them back the way they were. The purpose of doing this is to clean the contacts.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-30-2010 at 07:44 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 201

"To troubleshoot, I pulled one of the chains on the fan that was still working, and it stopped and the light turned off."

i'd start here.
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

I think the fan has to be in the on position for the remote to work.

The dip switches in the fan and in the remote should match, although there might be one or two patterns (like 0000) that never work.

Advertisement