Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan - Light on dimmer switch, Fan on normal switch

The house I moved into had a ceiling fan in the bedroom that was hooked up to a dimmer light switch. This worked fine for the lights, but the dimmer made the fan motor extremely touchy. There were actually two light switches in the wall (one dimmer, one "normal"), but once I took a look I found the normal switch wasn't even hooked up at all. For now, I disconnected the dimmer switch and put everything on the normal switch so that the fan works properly. Currently the dimmer switch is disconnected.

What I'd like to do is split it so the fan motor is toggled by the normal switch, and have the lights controlled separately on the dimmer.

I'm a complete beginner at this type of stuff, so I took some pictures and drew up a basic diagram. Most of the wires are black and they're all joined into a weird little connection (see the picture). They appear to be tightly crimped in there because I can't just pull them out. One black wire comes out of that connection and into the switch. There is a purple wire coming down from the ceiling that goes into the other connection on the switch. The light and fan both work at this point, but no dimmer.

There is also an orange wire coming from the bottom that appears to be unused. It's just sitting there with electrical tape over the bare end.

Finally, there are some white wires that don't seem to be connected to any switch but there aren't any "lose" ends that I'm seeing.

I assume I need to split the black wires, and possibly use the orange one to power the other switch after I split them? Please lead me in the right direction!

4 images on one page: http://imgur.com/a/eZaKi

renderflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

get power to the dimmer by jumpering off of hot wire going to single pole switch...then carry power from dimmer to light portion of fan
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling fan - Light on dimmer switch, Fan on normal switch-cpfvd.jpg  

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

The other end of That unused orange wire may be in the ceiling box with the fan. If it is and is unused in the ceiling box with the fan, that is your feed to the lite portion of the fan(the red wire in my diagram)
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

Thanks Hammerlane... I thought for sure the answer would involve splitting those 4 black wires on the left. Since both the light and fan work fine on one switch, it would seem everything needed is already in that wall box, so can you explain why I may need to run another wire to the light? I'm new so still trying to learn and get a good understanding.

Also if anyone is up for explaining, I'd love to know why those 4 wires are crimped into that little connection.. what's going on there?

I'll try and figure out if that orange wire is going up to the light. Since the orange is coming from the bottom I thought it may be a hot wire.. otherwise if it was from the fan wouldn't it come from the top?
renderflux is offline   Reply With Quote