Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling fan light comco wire

I am thinking about putting a ceiling fan in my bedroom. It's easy access to the ceiling box. I know I have to put in a safety box. Do I use 14/3 or 12/3 for the switch wire.

Last edited by Dilligaf77; 03-24-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: OOPS!
Dilligaf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

What size wire will depend on what size the rest of the circuit is and what size breaker there is for it.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 AM   #3

The wire feeding the light is 12/3. The breaker is 20 amp.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
When is fishing season?

Then use 12/3 wire.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,050

I am understanding this as you are replacing an existing light with a ceiling fan. Please go into more detail on the purpose of the 12/3 feeding the existing light. Is it the incoming power cable or is it coming from the light switch? Is the existing light switch 3 way or single pole. You may or may not need 12/3 to complete the wiring, you may not need to do anything different other than install a fan box. I am assuming the fan has a light dome since you will be replacing a light. Do you want independent control of the light and fan from 2 switches on the wall ? Or do you want one switch on the wall controlling the light and a pull chain controlling the fan? Is the fan going to have a remote? You may not need a 12/3 G and would not have to run it...especially if that is going to be hard to do. You may be able to use the existing wiring.

If your running to a new switch location then by all means run a 12/3 whether you use both hots or not.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #6

OK this is the final deal. My house was built in 1906. MY friend told me it is a balloon frame house, and you can actually shine a light in the cellar, and see it from in the attic in places. The wiring is BX with no ground. There are 7 lights up stairs. He said I should pull a wire up to the attic, and put all the lights on one feed. I would love to put ceiling fans in the 3 bedrooms but that sounds like to much stuff to put on one wire. There are switches, and none of the wire is nailed down. He said we can use old work boxes and everything will be safe. He is going to help me but I think that is to many lights for one wire #12. Every thing is wide open and easy to get to. The house has a 100 amp service installed in about 1970 and is all breakers. The kitchen has new wire, and GFI breakers.( MY friend is a drinker, and some times I don't believe what he says.) I would like 2 switches in one box, one for light and, one for the fan. I do know that requires 3 wires of some size. My friend is in construction and works with electricians all of the time. He said it is a 12 pack job/ $200 materials.

Last edited by Dilligaf77; 03-25-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf77 View Post
OK this is the final deal. My house was built in 1906. MY friend told me it is a balloon frame house, and you can actually shine a light in the cellar, and see it from in the attic in places. The wiring is BX with no ground. There are 7 lights up stairs. He said I should pull a wire up to the attic, and put all the lights on one feed. I would love to put ceiling fans in the 3 bedrooms but that sounds like to much stuff to put on one wire. There are switches, and none of the wire is nailed down. He said we can use old work boxes and everything will be safe. He is going to help me but I think that is to many lights for one wire #12. Every thing is wide open and easy to get to. The house has a 100 amp service installed in about 1970 and is all breakers. The kitchen has new wire, and GFI breakers.( MY friend is a drinker, and some times I don't believe what he says.) I would like 2 switches in one box, one for light and, one for the fan. I do know that requires 3 wires of some size. My friend is in construction and works with electricians all of the time. He said it is a 12 pack job/ $200 materials.

Is it 7 fan/lights, or 7 lights with 1 or 2 fans?

To see if it is acceptable or not to put all that stuff on one circuit take the wattage of all the lights (not what you have for a bulb - but the actual max wattage rating on the fixture) and for the fans. Depending on what size wire is used for the new circuit will determine how many you should put on it. *IF* it is mostly lights, with 1 or 2 fans then 14AWG should suffice. If it is going to be 7 ceiling fans, then 12AWG will be the way to go.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #8

3 fan light combos, and 4 closet lights.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #9
When is fishing season?

You will definatly be okay with 1 circuit. I would go with 12/2 for the wiring. What your friend told you is a fairly reasonable task. My house is the same way, where you can see from attic to basement. For a 12 pack and $200, I would say go for it as long as you understand this:

-Make sure your friend can legally work on your house (does your state require an electrician to be licensed or work under a licensed person?)

-This job will most likely require a permit and inspection.

-If these are going to a bedroom(s) then you may be required to protect them with an arc-fault circuit breaker - check with your local AJH.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #10

He is going to do it under a master electrician that is also an inspector. The permit will cost $68.00. I ain't worried about the State, I'm worried about my home owners Insurance.( Same thing basically, same rules different pocket)

Last edited by Dilligaf77; 03-25-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #11
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf77 View Post
He is going to do it under a master electrician that is also an inspector. The permit will cost $68.00. I ain't worried about the State, I'm worried about my home owners Insurance.( Same thing basically, same rules different pocket)
Well, sounds like all your ducks are in a row.

If he's going to be working in the attic, make sure to buy him premium beer...