Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling fan light 3 way wiring problem

I'm trying to wire two 3-way switches to the light fixture on a ceiling fan. One switch is a Cooper over/under Duplex switch with the top being a single pole switch that controls the fan and a 3-way switch on the bottom for the light. The other side of the room has your standard 3 way toggle switch. Power is coming into the duplex switch side then to the fan/light and on to the 3 way toggle switch side. No problem with the fan switch. Below is how I wired the light. I can turn the light on and off at the right side switch (toggle) and then and only then can I turn off the light at the duplex switch (bottom 3 way). When I turn the light off at the right side switch (toggle), I cannot turn it on at the duplex. How can I rectify this situation without going from switch to switch to light? I wired the 3 way switch on the Duplex side the same as this attached diagram. Black wire from the right side 3 way toggle switch is attached to the blue/light wire in the fan.
I attached the white wire coming from the left side duplex switch side to the Common white wire on the fan, which I believe is common to the circuits for the entire fan.

Last edited by Aurora64; 11-18-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Aurora64 is offline   Reply With Quote