Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


We are in the final stage of deciding our new house high voltage option. One of them related to ceiling fan junction box. There are three options, junction box without switch or with one switch or two switches. What is switch for? Is that the switch from fan you ca turn on/off light and fan? Builder charges $130for one switch on wall. So in order to reduce the cost, I am ok to use the pull chain from fan to control the light and fan. Does the option without switch works for me? I nto have both fan and light and be able to control them individually.

ycheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


They should not be able to offer a no switch option. The NEC requires a way to turn on a light when entering a room. The switch can control an overhead light, or a switched receptacle, but the switch has to be there.

__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
jrclen (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
They should not be able to offer a no switch option. The NEC requires a way to turn on a light when entering a room. The switch can control an overhead light, or a switched receptacle, but the switch has to be there.
The switch could also be the breaker in the panel... all that is required is a switched lighting outlet in each room. Im assuming the OP is confused in what his options really are and what is required.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,133
Rewards Points: 2,176
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Spend the money and go with a 2 switch option. Using pull chains on fans is a PIA. (And BTW your contractor is a low end price %^%$#@#).
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
(And BTW your contractor is a low end price %^%$#@#).
Why do you say that?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


So is it true that the junction box is located behind the wall instead of on the ceiling (our wire layout showing it on the place where the fan is) ? If I selected with one switch , am I able to control the fan and light individually through pull chain? Is the two switch option for have two wall switches ? If I choose one switch option is it possible for me to have an electrician to install the two switches on wall later on?
ycheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


The reason I consider the one switch option is that I think remote switch is better than wall switch. Am I right in thinking about this?
ycheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,133
Rewards Points: 2,176
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Why do you say that?
Because that's what I think. Quote the job properly up front. How much does it cost to use a 3 wire cable, a 2 gang box and an extra switch and do it right.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,133
Rewards Points: 2,176
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by ycheus View Post
The reason I consider the one switch option is that I think remote switch is better than wall switch. Am I right in thinking about this?
Not in my opinion. Having the 2 switch wiring in place gives you many options. Don't even consider having it done later after the drywall is up.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
If I choose one switch option is it possible for me to have an electrician to install the two switches on wall later on?
Yes, but it will be at least double the price you have been given to do it up front.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
The switch could also be the breaker in the panel... all that is required is a switched lighting outlet in each room. Im assuming the OP is confused in what his options really are and what is required.
Only if the panel is in THAT room.

Quote:
(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch–controlled
lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room
and bathroom.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Many thanks !!!
ycheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Only if the panel is in THAT room.
You are reading it wrong!!!
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


I know where you are going with that, but there is no way an inspector buys your logic. If that was the case, there would be no need for the code article at all, because all receptacles in the dwelling are controlled by an breaker.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

Ceiling fan junction box w/o switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I know where you are going with that, but there is no way an inspector buys your logic. If that was the case, there would be no need for the code article at all, because all receptacles in the dwelling are controlled by an breaker.
What logic? That's what the code requires.. No where are switches required in the same room as the switched lighting outlet. End of story.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to install ceiling fan and light/fan control switch on 3-way DIYguy2000 Electrical 11 07-24-2012 06:15 AM
Wiring a Ceiling Fan to a Switch that also Controlls Hot Switch timsarah Electrical 6 03-30-2010 08:14 AM
Bedrooms have no ceiling light, light switch controls one electrical outlet? notenoughtime Electrical 16 05-25-2009 12:09 AM
Wiring Ceiling Box to Switch graceandhayes Electrical 1 10-23-2006 05:02 PM
New Switch / Ceiling Fixture - Help nelrolo3 Electrical 1 03-12-2004 06:11 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.