Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ceiling fan installation problems HELP!

Last night my husband and I attempted to install a simple ceiling fan with lighting kit in my daughter's bedroom. Previously, there was just a small chandelier there. This is a two switch lightplate? room. The house is 8 years old. Out of the ceiling there was a ground a neutral a black wire and a red wire. On the fan there is a green ground a white neutral a black that says motor and a blue labeled luz (spanish for light). We hooked up white to white and ground to ground. I thought, since the red had never been used that it must be the fan, so I hooked that to the black one labeled motor and the blue one labeled luz to the black one that had previously been hooked to the chandelier? We turned it on and the light and fan both worked. !0 minutes later my hubby turned it on again and the light made a pop noise and blew the breaker for the whole upstairs. We flipped the breaker and again same same. I thought i must have been wrong and flipped the wires to black black and blue red. Same scearion....whats the deal? help!!!

ldld2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

You have two wall switches? What does the wiring look like in the switch box?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,410

It sounds like you had made the connections correctly. I would drop the fan canopy and check the connections inside.

Switching the black and blue wires would just change which switch operated the fan and light.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #4

Yes it is a 2 switch wall plate. I took the fan completely down and switched the connections, therefore I am sure that everything looks normal. Is it possible that since the upstairs is on one connection (5 &6 in my breaker box) that the addition of a fan is too much for the fuse? or something to handle?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,140

Is the j-box in the ceiling rated for a ceiling fan? That should be your first concern.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

I doubt that adding that little bit of load was too much for the breaker. You also said that the breaker trips immediately which indicates a short circuit, not an overload.

Are breakers 5 and 6 across from each other or are they stacked one on top? Normally the odd breakers are on one side of the panel with the evens on the other side.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

sounded like a twin breaker
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #8

Lets start with the obvious.... Im an idiot. I dont know what a jbox is or what it is rated for the builder put it in. I can tell you that the second bedroom upstairs has a very similar fan in it and it is fine. As far as whether the fuses are stacked or across, I have pretty new home like I said b4 and the breaker box looks normal. There is a list of numbers down the left side that are odd like you said but 2 little black switch thingies (obv technical term) which operate independantly are next to the 5 and are both labeled for upstairs. Since the next labeling is 7 I assumed they are 5 and 6 but maybe I am assuming incorrectly. Thanks for everyones help. It must be frustrating trying to talk to someone with so little electrical vocabulary.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,032

Caution: Ordinary testing methods will shorten the life of the switches and the breaker. An experienced electrician can wire a 100 watt incandescent light in series with the fan unit and track down the cause of the problem without damaging anything and without tripping the breaker.

That said, does the breaker trip when turning on the light or turning on the fan, or only when both are switched on?

Seems like a short circuit has developed in the light/fan unit or its connecting wires up in the ceiling junction box. A common reason for this is squashing the wires in clamps or box covers.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-15-2010 at 10:23 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Is the j-box in the ceiling rated for a ceiling fan? That should be your first concern.
Since the ceiling box as wired with a (unused0 red, black and white- I would think that was wired with a future fan in mind. Easiest way to determine for sure is to check the size of the screws- 8/32 is fixture box, 10/32 is a fan box.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #11

when you turn on the light . So you think it is because the wires in the light kit cover? are squished?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Licensed electrician

OK, first off stop beating yourself up for the lack of knowledge. Not everyone is all knowing.

The breaker you are dealing with is commonly called a tandem or twin breaker. It is 2 independant breakers that fits in the space of one. The labeling is normally A and B.

A junction box is where wires are joined together. They should remain accessible so troubleshooting can be performed.

The junction box where the fan was installed would need to be rated for fan support if it was the sole support for the fan. Typical boxes for fixtures are not rated for fan support and do not provide the secure mounting that ceiling fans require.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,232

Did you install the lights, or were they attached to the fan already?
If you installed them, I would look inside the light kit for pinched wires.
The connections at the top of the fan are correct.
It may be an internal short that you had nothing to do with, stuff happens.