Ceiling Fan Installation Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan Installation Problem

I am in the process of installing a ceiling fan to a junction box that was meant to have a ceiling fan installed in the future. I assembled the fan, mounted the support, hung the fan and connected the wires as I thought they should be. Went to flip the switch on the wall, pulled the chain on the fan and nothing. So at this point I am assuming there is a problem with how I wired the fan. Here is the run down of what wires are where and how they are connected.

Decora Switch (on wall)
- Top right side screw has a red wire which I am assuming is the feed
- Below the red wire is a screw with a brown wire attached
- In the back of the switch there are two holes where you can push wires into but if you want to get them back out you have to push a little tab to release the wire. A yellow wire is pushed into one of the holes.

Fan Junction Box
- A brown wire and a yellow wire are wire capped separately along with other wires that are passing through to feed ceiling can lights.

Fan (w/o Light, but light can be added in the future)
- White wire, Black wire, Blue wire

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Advertisement

ejbende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,792

Perhaps you could tell us what connections you made that did not work?

Advertisement

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Perhaps you could tell us what connections you made that did not work?
Initially I tried connecting the yellow to white, and connected brown to black and blue. Once that did not work I tried connecting yellow to black and blue, and brown to white and still nothing. I tested the voltage on the wires and get 120v constant on the red wire and get 120v on both the yellow and brown wire when the switch is turned to the on position.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

so there are 3 wires on the switch? perhaps it is 3 way'd and there is another switch that you missed?

IDK, take a pic of each and come back with that....something sounds strange.......
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,394

Brown to black of fan. Cap the blue of fan because you have no light. In the fan box are some white wires in a wire nut. Take the white of the fan and connect with these whites. Your fan will now operate correctly.

If in the future you want to add the light dome connect the blue to the black with the brown in a wirenut. Then operate the fan and light with the pull chains. The single switch on the wall will control power.

Better way if you get the light is to use the yellow wire. Install a two gang switch box where the single switch is now. Take the yellow off the existing switch and connect it to new switch. Take the red off existing switch and make two pigtails of wire and connect in a wire nut with the red wire. Connect one pigtail to one switch and one to the other switch. Go to the fan box uncap the blue and yellow wires put them together in a wirenut. You know have a switch for the fan and a switch to control the light.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 09-01-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
In the fan box are some white wires in a wire nut. Take the white of the fan and connect with these whites.
There aren't any white wires capped together in the junction box. If anything there is a grouping of grey wires that are capped together but it seems as though those are for the recessed can lights that are in the ceiling near the ceiling fan. Am I understanding you correctly?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,394

YES just didn't realize you would have grey neutrals but that is a possibility.

Test the brown wire with the switch on to the grey in the ceiling box if you get 120 volts thats your neutral. Grey is rarely used for neutral in a single family dwelling but I can't speak for every area of the USA. YOU are in the USA are you not...?

Advertisement

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote