Ceiling Fan Installation, 3 Sets Of Wires In Ceiling - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan installation, 3 sets of wires in ceiling

I'm putting in a new ceiling fan with lighting kit where there used to be tracking. I took down the old light and had to undo the wires to reinforce the box as it was very loose. Anyhow, drew out the wiring before I removed it and thought I had followed it but now things are a bit messed up. There are three sets of wires in the ceiling. Each has a Black, White and Ground. I wired my celing fan's Black and blue to where the other light's black use to go and the white to the previous connection of the old light. Anyhow, I must have messed up somewhere because at one point I had it where the fan and light worked but the light switch controlling it no longer controlled it and the outlets along my outside wall didn't work. I rewired it according to suggestion from another forum and nothing works now.
So my understanding is that the three sets of wires at 1) Live from fuse box 2) Wires from light switch and 3) wires that take power out to the wall outlets. My ceiling fan has a black, blue and white wire. The black is supposed to be for the fan and the blue for the light. How should I do the wiring?
I will call the wire sets as such: 1: Switch 2: live wire 3:Outlet wires.

Thanks in Advance as I need help ASAP.

Advertisement

southnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,404

If your description is correct then it likely is wired like the drawing below. Check the switch to see if only white and black connected to the switch. Now how you want the fan and light to work can be changed simply by minor wiring change it the fan box, the drawing shows the switch controlling both the fan and light and then either can be turned off if the fan has pull strings.

If you want the fan to come on only with the pull string then you would take the fan lead and connect it to the wire nut with the incoming power black and (hot) white to the switch and hot to the receptacle. This would put only the light on the switch....make sense??
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan installation, 3 sets of wires in ceiling-ceiling-fan-6.jpg  

Advertisement

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-10-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

Awesome... I did some reading afterwards and drew it out as above but was too scared to try again but will do so tonight. Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #4

Okay, so didn't get a chance to follow up. I connected everything as suggested but it's not working. I checked all the wires and none of them are showing as live. Is it possible that when I connnected a wrong wire I shorted the entire circuit somehow? I know it's possible but what to do short of calling an electrician now?
Anyway to check to see if I somehow killed the entire circuit and power line that was supposed to go to the fan?

Tags
3 sets , ceiling fan , light , three sets , wires