Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ceiling fan install into 2 bedrooms.

Ok guys, i have been slowly going through my condo and doing some work to correct things that i just do not like about it, have finished the whole downstairs up, so now its on to the upstairs. The 2 bedrooms do not currently have any light fixtures in them, there is a switch on the wall that controls a nearby outlet (it controls only 1 plug of the 2 on the outlet however??) what im looking to do is install ceiling fans with light fixture in both of the rooms. There is a crawl space with ample access so i could run wiring, my question is what type of wire do i need, is it 14-3? im looking to be able to have the wall switch have seperate switches to control fan speed and lighting so you do not have to deal with pull chains on the fan itself. as far as the instalation goes, i have that covered, i have a 4" hole saw, buy a couple saftey braces and instal them. Im more concerned about the circuit itself, as well when i do the wiring pull, do i need to change the outlet on the wall so both sides of the outlet will work as right now it has a switched setup that controls one of the 2 plugs on the outlet?? And i have seen alot of mixed reviews on the availble switches out there for ceiling fan controls, what seems to be the best, remember i want to control both lighting and fan speed at the wall switch not at the fan. Thanks for all your help.

brewmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Easy fix. Depending on how the wall switch was wired, you may or may not have to rewire the switched wall outlet.

Scenario #1: Wall switch has only one cable in it, with 2 circuit conductors: Black and White connected to the switch.

If this is your situation, you will have to remove the wall outlet, and rewire it to change the switch loop into a feed. You will also either have to replace the outlet, or install pigtail jumpers to both the top and bottom portions to make it "hot" all the time.

Once you have changed the switch loop into a feed, then fish a piece of 14/3 cable into the switch from the attic, and use that for your fan/light. Black for the fan, and red for the light. Most any standard dual control should work for independent control.

Scenario #2: Wall switch has more than one cable in it, complete with black, white, and red wires.

If this is your situation, you will have to connect all the black and red conductors together. That wire-nut will be the source of power for your dual wall control. Fish a piece of 14/3 cable from the attic as outlined above. No rewiring of the outlet will be necessary in this setup.

In either case, the black and red wires from the 14/3 will connect to the outputs of the dual control. The white wires will all connect together with a wire-nut. The bare grounding wires all connect together, with a pigtail to the frame of the control.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

Also, check the breaker. If it's 15 amp, you can use 14/3. If it's 20 amp, you must use 12/3.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

sweet! thanks guys, just took a look and i have my hot,neutral,ground and a red wire in the box, so that makes this super simple, just connect the black with the red wire, nut them together, use the black wire as my hot feed for my switch, and then run my wiring up to my fan, bada boom, bada bing. will be doing this next weekend!.
brewmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

They do sell fancy combination switches that control both fan/light separately in the space of one switch. The other nice thing is that they are smart enough to control the devices independently even with only one hot feed to the fan/light. They work by having a "brain" that sits up in the ceiling box above the fan. It takes the hot feed in, and has two "outs", one for each device. Pretty cool

I got this one at Lowes for $50:
http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/page.aspx?mn=1841&id=16991

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote