Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling fan instal issue

I was trying to figure out where I went wrong.

I put a new ceiling fan in my house. I had a heater in the bathroom that wasn't working so I disconnected it's wire at the fuse box. I ran a new14-2 wire into the fuse box on a 20amp breaker. I ran it through the ceiling, cut my hole, hung the fan and attached the lower light fixture to the fan. Heres the problem, when I turn on the fan part, the low setting seems like it's high and the medium and high settings are way too fast. When I turn on the lights (3 of them) they all blow immediatly. I tried a new set of lights and the same thing happened. It seems like there is way too much electricity pushing through the fan. Is this right? How do I fix it?
Any help would be great.
Thanks

mikpowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

ceiling fan instal issue

Was the existing heater 220V? Is the breaker single or double pole/handle? Assuming that you have wired the fan directly and are using the pull chains to control it, have you taken a voltage measurement at the fan?

Old 09-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

ceiling fan instal issue

the only way you can fix this mess is look at the fuse/ breaker box and how you got this hook up.

most heater useally i say useally are on 240 volt circuits and what i am thinking that you did retrace the same way as the old wire were ran before.

and if you ran the new wire in the fuse/breaker box find the white wire [ for the new circuit ] and move that to the netural bussbar that way you get a real 120 volt there instead of 240 volt

unforetally once you get this fixed IMO i think you will end up repalceing the ceiling fan as well again because some of control circuit in the fan itself can be fried [ i did see it happend once a while ]

Merci , Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 AM   #4

ceiling fan instal issue

i would change out that 20 amp breaker to a 15 amp if you ran a 14-2 if you dont want to risk a fire. NEC 310.16 requires a 20 amp circuit to be wired in 12 awg wire.
gooch is offline   Reply With Quote