DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Ceiling fan hummmm (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/ceiling-fan-hummmm-184353/)

digitalplumber 07-27-2013 07:49 PM

Ceiling fan hummmm
 
After replacing my busted ceiling fan switch, rotary knob hi Med lo, with a rotary variable speed dial type, it now hums. Is this the nature of this type switch? Did not do this before.

Thanks

kbsparky 07-27-2013 08:29 PM

Yupp. Those infinite variable speed switches are basically glorified dimmers, which operate on sine-wave chopping. That results in a noticeable hum from the fan.

Go back to the 3- or 4-speed type and the hum will disappear.

digitalplumber 07-27-2013 09:07 PM

Thanks back to blowes tomorrow to exchange it!

frenchelectrican 07-27-2013 09:15 PM

Make sure you get the dehummer verison they will cost little more than conventail fan speed controller.

Then ya good to go ( keep the ceiling fan pull chain at high speed and control from the wall controller this is the best way and it will not generally make any humming noise at all.)

Merci,
Marc

digitalplumber 07-27-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican (Post 1222030)
Make sure you get the dehummer verison they will cost little more than conventail fan speed controller.

Then ya good to go ( keep the ceiling fan pull chain at high speed and control from the wall controller this is the best way and it will not generally make any humming noise at all.)

Merci,
Marc


Thanks that's how it was I thought it would be neat for the variable, but no. They only have one other the correct one maybe I should look elsewhere?

frenchelectrican 07-27-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1222034)
Thanks that's how it was I thought it would be neat for the variable, but no. They only have one other the correct one maybe I should look elsewhere?

Most of variable speed controller are useally are not dehummer verison and gernerally I just get a 4 speed contoller that useally work the best even on low speed setting it about perfect for most case.

The last dehummer variable fan speed controler I got from USA side was over 10 years back so I doubt if they still have it in big box store ou not.,

Merci,
Marc

digitalplumber 08-04-2013 11:24 AM

So I replaced with an Enerlites fan control switch, now my MED speed is too slow??? WTH!:furious:

frenchelectrican 08-04-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1224970)
So I replaced with an Enerlites fan control switch, now my MED speed is too slow??? WTH!:furious:

Did you any chance check the fan pull chain to make sure it is on high speed postion If so then something funky going on and can you post the model number of this controller this way I can try to figure it out what is going on with this one.

Merci,
Marc

digitalplumber 08-04-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican (Post 1225168)
Did you any chance check the fan pull chain to make sure it is on high speed postion If so then something funky going on and can you post the model number of this controller this way I can try to figure it out what is going on with this one.

Merci,
Marc


Yes first thing I did.

Enerlites Fan Control Catalogue number 17003 120vac 60hz 2.5 amp

Some other numbers on switch:

YLFC700R

E313535

Thanks

frenchelectrican 08-04-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1225170)
Yes first thing I did.

Enerlites Fan Control Catalogue number 17003 120vac 60hz 2.5 amp

Some other numbers on switch:

YLFC700R

E313535

Thanks

Give me a little bit I am digging this up right now as soon I find something I will let you know asap.

Merci,
Marc


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved