Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #1

Share |
Question

ceiling fan help

Hi all,

I have a lighted ceiling fan with a in my bedroom connected to a dimmer switch. I recently tried to replace the incandescent bulbs with compact florescents. The new bulbs work fine, except, when I turned the lights off, the bulbs began to strobe and did so for several minutes, the strobe effect slowing as time passed. Does anyone know what might be causing this and/or how to fix it?

-DaveG
DaveG37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Eibwen

ceiling fan help

CFL's and dimmers dont mix... Check the package on the bulbs.. Should say "Not Dimmable" etc.. Switch back to incandescent/regular bulbs or leave the dimmer on full tilt and it should work.

I just did most of my lights in CFL's and they work fine. I found it best to go up one notch on the brightness to get the same effect as incandescents. Started out with the standard soft whites and went with brights and they produced the same light as a regular bulb.

Even snuck em in my wife's vanity light in the bath where she does her makeup and she hasnt noticed the difference!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #3

ceiling fan help

Sammy,

I never use the dimmer, as far as I know, it's on full tilt all the time. Although, it is hard to tell because of the way it works. Instead of turning a dial, you hold the power button on and the lights go from nothing to full and back. A quick press turns the lights off and back on to the brightness they were when they were last turned off. Assuming the dimmer is on full, is there anything else that could be wrong?

-DaveG
DaveG37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Eibwen

ceiling fan help

Sounds like one of those new fangled auto dimmer's... I would switch the bulbs back out to incancescent's and see if that cures it.

If the lights were working fine before the CFL's then that would be the problem. And it wouldnt point to any other problems in the wiring, etc.

If thats it, you can still use regular bulbs along with the dimmer on a
lower setting and get some energy savings.

How many hours a day do you use the ceiling fan light?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote