Ceiling Fan And Gfi Conflict - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ceiling fan and gfi conflict

Thanks for a great forum!

I'm a do it yourself guy (lack of cash forces a guy to learn new skills)

I'm pretty good at following directions although I don't completely understand electrical theory. So I greatly appreciate your responses.

My Problem:

Gutted and rebuilt a front room on my house. I pulled wire from 1 circuirt breaker 20amp to the room to power 4 lights (2 switches), 1 fan(1 fan speed control), 1 floresent(1 switch), and 4 outlets. I used what I had on hand from a kitchen remodel for outlets: 2 gfi and 2 regular.

Today, I hooked up the fan which runs great. My problem is that when I was switching the fan speed contol from off-lo-med-hi-off repeatedly and one or both of the gfi outlet popped. I reset the outlets and repeated the switching and they popped again.

I unhooked the speed control and installed a standard switch and moved the switch from on and off until the outlets popped again.

The fan keeps running even when the outlets pop, because the fan is not below the outlets.

I checked the outlet with my simple outlet tester and it claims the outlets are wired properly.

Before I installed the fan, I had a light installed to cover the fan box, and I could make it dim with the off-lo-med-hi-off fan speed control. It never caused the outlets to pop.

As long as I am not switching anything the outlets don't pop, the running fan doesn't seem to cause anything to pop.

If I turn off the fan (at the pull chain) and switch the on-off switch no outlets pop.

Is electrical noise from the fan causing this? Should I replace the outlets with standard outlets? (The room used to be a porch, but I rebuilt it from the foundation up to be a heated space with a door to the outside)

Thank you for your replies.

tool n stuff

Advertisement

toolsnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

Either: Replace GFCI's with regular rec.'s as there is no requirement to have one in rooms that USED to be porches...

Or: Pull power for fan from a different rec. that is upstream of both GFCI's...

Or: (maybe easier) pull new circuit for fan.

Advertisement

Last edited by jproffer; 01-29-2007 at 01:54 AM.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

jproffer,

Thanks for your quick response.

I'll probable just swap out the outlets like you said.

Stay warm: we are hitting sub freezing temp here in MN.

Tools N Stuff
toolsnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote