Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ceiling Fan Electrical diagram

I am installing a new ceiling fan in my sun room. There is an existing light and I am installing the fan where the light junction box is installed in the ceiling-it has a ceiling fan mounting bracket already installed. I need to know how to wire the ceiling fan and fan light to the existing wiring from the old light. There are two switches on the wall-one for fan, one for light-I want the fan and light controlled by one switch. The wires coming down are red, black, white and ground-I was told you could connect two of the existing wires to one of the wiries from the fan/light and the one switch would control both the fan and light-help please-I am not very electrical savy.

av8ordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,196

Connect the black and blue or black with white stripe to either the black or red from the ceiling. Cap the other one off. Connect whites together. Connect greens and bares together.

The way you want this will mean that you will need to use the pullchains to turn either the fan or light off while the other is on. The switch will turn both on or both off. Not very convenient especially when it is already setup for two switches.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

I guess I am confused-maybe I should ask-how/what wires do I connect in order for the dual wall switch to be able to control the fan with one switch and the light with the other switch? Again there is a red, black, white, and ground coming down from the ceiling and there is a blue, black, white coming from the fan & light up through the down rod and needs to be tied together-what wire goes with what wire?help please-sorry about the confusion-

Last edited by av8ordon; 05-15-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Confussing
Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,196

With two switches the fan would be separate from the light. You would wire the fan black to either the ceiling black or red. Wire the blue or black with white stripe to the other. Whites and greens as above.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Electricians usually use wire color coding to help keep their switch controlled connections right in their head. I always wired my ceiling fan outlet boxes with the black conductor as the"hot" for the fan motor and the red as the switched conductor for the fan lights....

As Jim said though basically, it doesnt matter in this case, as both the black and red are being switched. Black fan motor wire to black j-box wire. Blue fan light fixture wire to the red j-box wire.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Make sure the box is rated to have a fan mounted to it!
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #7

So,
As I understand the wiring connections-I should hook-white to white, ground to green, black to black and blue to red-thanks to everyone who helped-this is really great when you have experts out there willing to share info with us novices-