Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan - Downrod won't screw in all the way

I just bought a couple of Hunter Stratford II 44" ceiling fans from Home Depot, and I've run across a problem in the installation. The downrod screws into the motor housing, and the manual says it is normal for 2-3 threads to remain visible when done. Well, both of mine started off easy enough, but I ended up with more like 5-6 threads remaining visible. This means only 4-5 threads secure the downrod to the fan, which amounts to 1 cm or a little less. There is a set screw that comes in from the side, and while it will touch the downrod, by design it does not go through the downrod. There is a "coating" on the threads inside the motor housing which I guess is a thread-lock adhesive. I'm going to call Hunter tomorrow to ask if this is all OK, but I'm curious if this is SOP for ceiling fans. Does it sound safe and secure for a fan to mount to the downrod simply by screwing in 1 cm or a little less with some thread-lock adhesive, further secured by a set-screw that applies pressure to the downrod but doesn't go through it?

tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #2

As long as the main rod screws in a bit further than the spot where the set screw makes contact you should be fine.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
As long as the main rod screws in a bit further than the spot where the set screw makes contact you should be fine.
Using a magnifying glass and flashlight to look through the set screw hole, it appears that on one of the fans, the downrod terminates about 1 mm above the bottom of the set screw hole, so most of the set screw should be in contact. Does this sound OK? The downrod advanced a tad further into the other fan, and I don't see any "daylight" through the set screw hole. I did notice some red residue on the downrod threads, which I assume is some of the "coating" the manual advised not to remove from the hole for the downrod in the motor housing. Might that be Loctite?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima2381 View Post
Using a magnifying glass and flashlight to look through the set screw hole, it appears that on one of the fans, the downrod terminates about 1 mm above the bottom of the set screw hole, so most of the set screw should be in contact. Does this sound OK? The downrod advanced a tad further into the other fan, and I don't see any "daylight" through the set screw hole. I did notice some red residue on the downrod threads, which I assume is some of the "coating" the manual advised not to remove from the hole for the downrod in the motor housing. Might that be Loctite?
I described the issue to Hunter tech support today, and without missing a beat, the rep said the same thing as jwhite. She also mentioned they use Loctite on the threads and confirmed the small gap at the bottom of the set screw hole wouldn't matter, because enough of the downrod threads will engage the set screw for it to be secure. So it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #5

geeze, just like my father...

wont take my word for it... just because I happen to have 20 years experience..... nooooo you gotta call hunter to confirm it....

what do I look like? a red headed step child? :D
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
geeze, just like my father...

wont take my word for it... just because I happen to have 20 years experience..... nooooo you gotta call hunter to confirm it....

what do I look like? a red headed step child? :D
Aw c'mon, I did say I was going to call Hunter "tomorrow" in my original post. I'm just glad the answers agreed, when the question concerned a 40 lb anvil dangling above my head.

The fan is now installed and working nicely, but there was another problem along the way. This was a more interesting problem, and I hope you'll check out my post, which I think I will call "Stab-in connections, ceiling fans, and computers".
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #7

I do not understand why there is a hole for the pin in the down rod if it cannot be used because the downrod does not screw down all the way.
Home Depot Experts have the same response as jwhite (pathetic). If there is a design problem admit it and fix it! Will Home Depot bear the liability if a dangling fan drops on a child playing below the fan?
Fanman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #8

Five year old post. I think it has been resolved by now.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #9

Lmao! Now that's comedy. Can't make this stuff up can you!

Favorite line is the 40 pound anvil.

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote