Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan Conversion?

I have a flush mount ceiling fan and I would like to make it hang lower due to the slant in the ceiling in my bedroom.... Can this be done???
Thanks bunches for any help!!!!
-Dee
deew57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Electrician

Ceiling Fan Conversion?

They do have downrods available for the purpose you desire...in various lengths and finishes. I'm guessing you are saying that you already have a flush mount already installed?? If so, you may or may not be able to extend it. Depends on if it can accept a downrod, both at the motor unit and the ceiling bracket, and whether the motor unit has an area designed for making and containing wire connections, as you would most likely have to add wire for the length of the new rod. Depends on the length of the wires and the rod. Not always, but many times a true 'ceiling hugger' doesn't use the necessary parts for 'downrodding' or they get thrown away after original installation. You may end up having to get a new fan that is capable of being extended. The minimum length of the downrod will depend on the slope of the ceiling and the length of the blades so you can get a rod that will drop it down far enough for the blades to clear the ceiling. Also, in general you don't want it closer than 7 ft to the floor, so be careful of that. I know, I know...I don't know anybody that is 7 ft tall either. If you do take the old fan down at some point, look inside the box to see if it's stamped ceiling fan rated. Should be a metal box and stamped. Just my 2 cents.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote