Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan: can't figure out some wire connections

Hi- DIY newbie here.

Replacing a ceiling fan. The old fan had a light, and there is a switch on the wall for the fan and the light. The new fan also has a light and also has a remote control reciever unit. So, all the same, just replacing. Mostly done but now stumped:

Fan motor: has black, blue, and white wires.

Receiver unit (came with fan):
On one side: has black, blue, white wires.
On other side: black and white wire.

Per instructions, have connected the fan motor (black, blue, white) to receiver unit (black, blue, white).

Outlet box from ceiling:
Has black, white and red (??) wires.

(There is also a bare wire (outlet box) and green (fan motor) which seem to be the ground wires, they are connected.)

Question:
So, from the reciever there are only two wires available (black, white) for the outlet box, but from the outlet box there are three: black, white and RED.

What do I do with this red wire??

Thx!
seeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

The red conductor is used if you have seperated fan et luminaires on the ceiling fan unit and it kinda common item if you have extra conductor there.

If not used then just get a wirenut and cap it off and most case the wall switch it will have two switches one for luminaire and second one for fan motour so that is common which I do it often and leave the extra conductor in there in case some peoples don't like the remote like myself I just practially not too crazy with remotes { I have lost it twice and never bother to get the other universal remote again just use the wall switch it will go no where }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #3

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I've been waiting anxiously for any help and searching the web so I'm replying quickly too!

Some clarification: the "receiver unit" is the remote control piece. So my problem is with the introduction of this receiver for the remote, and the wire connections.

There is a separate switch (from the wall) for the light and fan as I mentioned. So again from the outlet box there is the black, white, red and ground (bare) wire. I believe the black is the hot wire forthe fan motor, and now I think the red is the hot wire for the light.

But from the receiver box, there is only a black and a white.

So after some more research, I think I can wind the black and red together from the outlet box, then connect that to the black of the receiver unit? Can you connect three wires together?

I didn't really understand your reply.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Cap the red wire and just use the black wire.
Only one switch will now work, but you will leave it on all the time and use the remote anyway.

There is nothing wrong with connecting the red and black, but it looks like a homeowner did it!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

If the switch is "on" all the time, does that mean it is always drawing electricity even if the fan is off (from the remote)?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeeker View Post
If the switch is "on" all the time, does that mean it is always drawing electricity even if the fan is off (from the remote)?
Nothing you'd EVER notice. It will be considerably less than a remote control TV or radio in "standby' mode.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote