Ceiling Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ceiling Fan

I have a new construction home and they do not have a place for a ceiling fan in one of the additional rooms. I was looking to actually put one in my self, and have done fans where there was already an existing light in place. The light switch works for the 2 wall outlets and I didnít know to run the wiring and if there were any recommendations for how to install one. I already have the ceiling fan, beam rack, and wiring but any help with how to wire the fan to the light switch would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for any advice or feedback.

Advertisement

NicolasFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Resident Electrician

Ceiling Fan

First check to see if the switch on the wall controls the existing light. If it does turn off the power at the breaker and take down the existing light. You will need to put in a remodel ceiling fan box if the existing one isn't rated to hold the weight of the fan.

After you install the new box, you can hang the fan. Follow the instructions in the box very closely.

The existing wiring is probably only a two wire and you will have to control the light and fan separately by using the pull chains.

The blue wire in the fan is your light, and the black is your fan in case you do have a three wire ran.

Advertisement

thefamouscbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #3

Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefamouscbc View Post
First check to see if the switch on the wall controls the existing light. If it does turn off the power at the breaker and take down the existing light. You will need to put in a remodel ceiling fan box if the existing one isn't rated to hold the weight of the fan.

After you install the new box, you can hang the fan. Follow the instructions in the box very closely.

The existing wiring is probably only a two wire and you will have to control the light and fan separately by using the pull chains.

The blue wire in the fan is your light, and the black is your fan in case you do have a three wire ran.
Thank you TheFamousCBC for your response,

The problem I have is that the light switch controls the 2 wall outlets, where 1 of the receptacle is powered by the switch and the other is always on. What I really need is the instructions on what to look for in the attic so I can put the fan on the same line for the power.

Sorry for not being clearer in my initial question.
NicolasFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Resident Electrician

Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasFM View Post
Thank you TheFamousCBC for your response,

The problem I have is that the light switch controls the 2 wall outlets, where 1 of the receptacle is powered by the switch and the other is always on. What I really need is the instructions on what to look for in the attic so I can put the fan on the same line for the power.

Sorry for not being clearer in my initial question.
Ok no problem.

U just need to answer some questions for me first.

Is there an existing light fixture in the ceiling? And if so, where is it switched?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Ceiling Fan

If there is no existing light in the ceiling its simple. Locate where you want the ceiling fan. Cut out the hole and go into the attic to locate the hole. Now you have two options here. You can either use the existing switch that is controlling the outlets for the fan and make the outlets constant powered. Or you can install a two gang old work box and have another switch control the fan and keep that switch for the outlets. Regardless the easiest way is to remove the box that is in the wall now and replace it with an old work box. After you have removed that box go into the attic and locate that wall from the attic. There might be some wires going down to that switch depending on how they wired the room. If not you will have to drill a hole. Run a 14/3 or a 14/2 romex from the fan to the switch. I would recommend running a 14/3 romex.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Resident Electrician

Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSilanskas View Post
If there is no existing light in the ceiling its simple. Locate where you want the ceiling fan. Cut out the hole and go into the attic to locate the hole. Now you have two options here. You can either use the existing switch that is controlling the outlets for the fan and make the outlets constant powered. Or you can install a two gang old work box and have another switch control the fan and keep that switch for the outlets. Regardless the easiest way is to remove the box that is in the wall now and replace it with an old work box. After you have removed that box go into the attic and locate that wall from the attic. There might be some wires going down to that switch depending on how they wired the room. If not you will have to drill a hole. Run a 14/3 or a 14/2 romex from the fan to the switch. I would recommend running a 14/3 romex.
That is simple if you have experience doing remodel electrical work. If he doesn't have any experience it can be very confusing.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefamouscbc View Post
That is simple if you have experience doing remodel electrical work. If he doesn't have any experience it can be very confusing.
Call an electrician than
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ceiling Fan

This has a degree of difficulty factor of 7.8 for a homeowner.

Spend a couple hundred and have it done right.

If you want to try it...............You need to get a 3 wire cable from the switch box to the ceiling.

1. locate joist. Hopefully it is close enough to center of the room.

2. cut ceiling hole (I use fan/pan boxes)

3. Cut switch box hole to accept new larger box (1 or two more switches)

4. remove existing switch box.

5. run 3wire cable from ceiling hole, down wall to switch box hole. This may require drilling a new hole in the top plate and there may be horizontal blocking part wayt down the wall.

6. put everything back together.

If you get thru the first 5 steps, come back and I'll be specific on step 6.

Advertisement

Last edited by 220/221; 04-21-2009 at 02:24 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling fan