Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan

Hi Guys,

First time poster here....I'm running new wiring from the basement junction box that hits a light switch first then goes up to the ceiling fan/light.

It's 12/2 flexible conduit to the light. Then my thought was to go 12/3 to fan/light after the switch. I want the light on the switch but the fan to work on the pull chain. Is this correct below.

Black (12/2) from basement conects to black 12/3 and light switch. Using a little pig tail.

Red from light switch (when on) to Light power.

Black to Black on fan (no switch)

White to white

Ground to Ground.

thanks,

T.

tsoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Ceiling fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoura View Post
It's 12/2 flexible conduit to the light. Then my thought was to go 12/3 to fan/light after the switch. I want the light on the switch but the fan to work on the pull chain. Is this correct below.

Black (12/2) from basement conects to black 12/3 and light switch. Using a little pig tail.

Red from light switch (when on) to Light power.

Black to Black on fan (no switch)

White to white

Ground to Ground.
I assume you meant 12/2 to the light switch and 12/3 from the switch to the light.

Otherwise everything looks great! It should work just as you have planned it. Good luck!

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Ceiling fan

Like was posted above, it will work, but why not put a switch in anyway. Later on you will be glad you did.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #4

Ceiling fan

Thanks for the help....maybe I'm saying it wrong and I should clarify.

I was going to take

the Black line from the 12/2 and the black line from 12/3 cables and a little black (3-4 inches) wire from the light switch power in and wire nut the 3 of them together.

The Red 12/3 would come out of the light switch power out connection (when on)

Is that not right? This would all happen in the Light Switch box.

thanks again...

As far as another switch for the fan, you can't control the fan speed any way from the switch so I figure I'll probably just need to pull the chain anyway.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #5

Ceiling fan

Actually you can control the fan speed at the switch. They make special fan/light combo switches to do just that very thing. Personally I would put in a double gang switch box, even if you still only want 1 switch now. Having the space for a second switch, along with the 12/3 running to the light box makes it a lot easier to put in that second switch later on. Please note: a dimmer switch will not work for the fan, the fan needs the correct switch to control the speed. You can however use a dimmer switch on the light if you'd like.

Also, they do make wireless remotes for the fan that would control both the light and fan. Usually these have a clip that screws onto the cover plate for the light switch and the remote hangs on the clip, and the remote receiver goes in the canopy/ceiling box. Just an idea....
Old 09-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #6

Ceiling fan

wow...thanks, I did not know that about the switches...I'll look into that.

So here is how I was thinking about running the electrical in the office. I'm attaching a jpeg.

Is there any dis/advantages to the junction box as opposed to daisy chain? I can access things easily through the basement, but I may not be taking out the old drywall.

In case you are wondering, I'm changing all the electrical because it's the old aluminum sheath wiring with no ground in it. This room will eventually be an office/recording studio, with computer, keyboards, amps, speakers, AC (window) and Humidifier/Dehumidifier to keep all the instruments at the right humidity. Outlets 2 and 4 don't exist yet.

I thought the 20 amps should be enough for this and that's why I'm running 12 gauge.

Any thoughts or feedback would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

T.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling fan-office_electrical.jpg  
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #7

Ceiling fan

I would recommend running a separate circuit for the dehumidifier/AC to keep that separate from the electronics circuit. Usually there would be no benefit to installing a junction box to run all the outlets to. If you don't want to run a second circuit for the dehumidifier and AC now, I would suggest keeping the junction box idea so that you could re-route one of the outlets to a new circuit. Unless putting in extra outlets later isn't that difficult then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #8

Ceiling fan

thanks, I think your right about the A/C and Dehumidifier having their own circuit. This old house we have has only 100 amp panel, and there are only 4 more spots free. The Kitchen needs a redo and there needs to be a new bathroom...so I'm not sure I'll have enough free. The electricity in this house is goofy. I'm not sure I have the space for it without putting in a sub panel. I guess I could do the 2nd circuit now and worry about a sub panel later, but for that job, I think I'd call a real electrician and not mess with that myself.

The office circuit right now has 1 outlet on the second floor, lights in the basement and 2 of the 4 outlets in the living room on it. All other circuits seem to be the same way, no consistency to what they control.

thanks again for your advice.