Ceiling Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan

My wife and I moved into our home in November. Everything worked fine. About 2 months ago I was in the our room (master) ironing and the light on the ceiling fan turned off by itself. I thought it was the bulb. Replaced the bulb, didn't work. I changed the light switch, didn't work. Then I bought a brand new ceiling fan. Guess what?? It worked for about a hour and stopped working. When I turn the switch on its like a flash with the light. It comes on but goes right off!! I don't know what else to do. I've changed the switches in the wall and still no luck. Somebody help!!!!!

Advertisement

JehAllworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,388

Ceiling Fan

Bad switch or loose connecttion.
Even faulty cable.

Advertisement

dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,492

Ceiling Fan

What is the make and model of the new fan ?
What type of bulb(s) are in it, incandescent, halogen, CFL, LED, or ???
If your wall switch is anything other than a regular on off switch, what is it ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #4

Ceiling Fan

The fan is Hampton Bay. The bulbs came with the fan. I think they are incandescent! The switch is a regular 2 wire switch on/off.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Ceiling Fan

Are you using the correct size lamps?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Ceiling Fan

Yes, they came in the box with the ceiling fan.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,366

Ceiling Fan

Sorry I don't have any answers for you JeyAllworld, just trying to help you out with a few more ideas. Sometimes it can be something really simple or really complicated and frustrating.

Start by rechecking all your work. Check all wiring/cabling for bare spots/burn marks on fan and switch area (use flashlight). Check for any scorch marks by switch or inside ceiling fan light kit. Smell, and see if there is an odor of something burnt. It doesn't take much, a bare wire touching box, loose wire nut where the wires aren't making a good connection, etc.

What's above ceiling fan? attic? bedroom? If attic area, possible rodent chewed through cable baring some wires. Not very likely, but in older homes it's possible. How old is house/wiring?

It's possible you may have a dead short somewhere. Just a suggestion; Sometimes a dead short will not always trip a breaker. If it didn't trip a breaker at the main panel, for safety measures you may want to turn breaker off that controls the ceiling fan until you figure out what's wrong.

I agree with you JeyAllworld, new lights and new ceiling fan shouldn't just flash and then quit working. Something doesn't sound right.

Last edited by jmon; 05-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JehAllworld
My wife and I moved into our home in November. Everything worked fine. About 2 months ago I was in the our room (master) ironing and the light on the ceiling fan turned off by itself. I thought it was the bulb. Replaced the bulb, didn't work. I changed the light switch, didn't work. Then I bought a brand new ceiling fan. Guess what?? It worked for about a hour and stopped working. When I turn the switch on its like a flash with the light. It comes on but goes right off!! I don't know what else to do. I've changed the switches in the wall and still no luck. Somebody help!!!!!
Clue here is "ironing". Check for a loose wire, probably a push-in connection, at the receptacle you had the iron plugged in to. If not there, maybe one adjacent to it. These connections will loosen with time and if pulling a heavy load (I.e. ironing) you may lose continuity. Remake the connections using the screws instead.
jmon (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,366

Ceiling Fan

Great point househelper. I didn't think about checking the outlet where the iron is plugged into for loose connections as well. Thanks.

Also, if the breaker controlling that room is a 15amp breaker, would it help if they upgrade to a 20amp breaker to run everything at once, or should the 15amp breaker be fine? Thanks.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ceiling Fan

Don't change the breaker size.There is a possibility the breaker or its connection is the problem, but I would check the receptacles first. If you have to replace the breaker, replace with the SAME size.
jmon (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Special User

Rewards Points: 628

Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
at the receptacle you had the iron plugged in to. If not there, maybe one adjacent to it
Actually what I would do is throw the breaker, and pull out every single receptacle that doesn't have power whether it's in the same room or not. If any are "back-stabbed", whether they look good or not, I would replace the receptacle and curl the wires around the screws of the new receptacle.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #12

Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon
Great point househelper. I didn't think about checking the outlet where the iron is plugged into for loose connections as well. Thanks.

Also, if the breaker controlling that room is a 15amp breaker, would it help if they upgrade to a 20amp breaker to run everything at once, or should the 15amp breaker be fine? Thanks.
Keep in mind that if the current wire is 14 gauge you can't use a 20 amp breaker.
hacksawjiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hacksawjiw For This Useful Post:
jmon (05-03-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Ceiling Fan

Have you tried turning off the circuit breaker for this fan, and checking the connections at each fixture/receptacle? You mentioned you were ironing when the lights went out. If you have outlets and ceiling fans mixed on the same circuit it's quite likely you have a bad receptacle connection somewhere.

Advertisement

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote