Ceiling Clearance For Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

Old 03-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #1
Rewards Points: 16

ceiling clearance for panel

just an idea I am bouncing around would be interested to hear what people think before I engage anybody else in actually doing anything.

I would like to move my panel to a different location that is much more accessible in terms of horizontal space. Currently it is located between a window and foundation wall which is somewhere around 20" wide, so there is very little space on either side of the panel, so all the wires are crammed into a tiny space.

There is another location on the other side of the wall which would give the over 36" of horizontal space, however the ceiling height is only 74" and I believe code calls for 78.7". I've read online somewhere about an exception allowing the panel to be in locations with less than 78" height for existing homes with panels <=200A.

does anybody know if this type of height exception exists for ontario/canada, and if it would be permitted given that I would be relocating it. fyi all the branch circuits will reach the new location, most of them already pass by it, and in terms of service entrance this location is closer to the meter base which would make the exterior conduit shorter and the service would still be travelling the shortest possible path inside the house (directly into the back of the panel through the block wall).

to be honest, I feel like the proposed location was the intended location but maybe because of the height of the basement in this situation it was not acceptable, in other scenerios of this house maybe the lower basement has a greater head clearance not sure. there is already 1" plywood in the location which has clearly been there since the house was built in the 70's and nothing has ever been mounted to it.

e60 is offline   Reply With Quote