Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
I=E/R

Share |

Ceiling Boxes

I've been using Code Check 5th Ed. (NEC 2008) as a reference for my new house wiring. I ran across an item that says "Ceiling lighting boxes rated minimum of 50 lbs." and a ref. to 08 NEC 314.27A
Does this mean I have to use something other than a Carlon 4" deep box that is held with 2 nails? There is no reference in the box about weight.
There is a foot note too: In the 08 NEC, ceiling boxes must be rated for at least 50 lbs luminaries, and wall boxes must be marked with the maximum weight they can support if the box is other than 50lb.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Ceiling Boxes

This change means that fan rated boxes need to be used for lighting fixture, even if no fan is installed.

Boxes for smoke alarms can still be the regular nail-on box.

a7ecorsair (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
I=E/R

Ceiling Boxes

Thanks Jim,
I went out to the HD site just to see what is listed and yes, they have boxes that are 50# rated. I was just getting ready to start nailing up boxes today when I ran across this
Oh well, I can do the wall receptacle boxes and then figure out my ceiling box count.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
I=E/R

Ceiling Boxes

This ceiling box requirement has raised a couple of questions. I went to HD to see what they had. HD just happened to be the closest place to do my research.
Most of the boxes, plastic, were Carlon. The metal ones were Raco.
The metal boxes with a spot welded bracket were in a bulk pack factory box that said they were good for 50 lb fixtures but the box itself had no label so stating. Pretty much the same for the blue Carlon's that said New Construction - nothing but cu. in. and conductor count.
There were some black plastic boxes, don't remember the brand, that were vapor barrier boxes and they actually said they were good for 50 lb fixtures.
Do ceiling boxes have to have something saying they are listed for 50 lb fixtures?
Went I got home I went to Carlon's site to see what I could find. I did find a link to a brochure and discovered that the BH525A boxes I have are rated for 50 lb fixtures
Carlon also has this same ceiling box configured with a metal angle bracket that is fan rated.