DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Caused an electrical short in my apartment (

teodiaz 11-04-2011 02:47 AM

Caused an electrical short in my apartment
I very stupidly plugged in a 3 pronged dryer cord into a socket and the three prongs at the other end lit up and caused a huge short. The thing is the breakers didnt trip. Does any one have any idea what it could have been damaged?

teodiaz 11-04-2011 02:49 AM

I forgot to mention that all of the electricity in my apartment is gone.

oh'mike 11-04-2011 05:50 AM

You blew the main breaker---

Call your landlord--the main breaker for your apartment is often located in a breaker panel in the utility room of the building.

It's embarrassing but these things happen,

oh'mike 11-04-2011 07:04 AM

By the way, Did you install a new cord on that dryer?

If you did ---it's installed wrong---More details,please.

AllanJ 11-04-2011 07:52 AM

Most likely the only damage, if any, was to the (unconnected) lugs at the other end of the cord. If you can't attach the lugs to the terminals in back of the dryer you might be able to snip off what remains of the lugs and wrap the bare wire ends around the terminals.

Most likely the (main) breaker tripped before anything else got really hot.

Check for any deformation or overheating of the cord in the middle or near either end; if you see that you should discard the cord.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1