Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

CATV Home wiring; OTA Antenna and Comcast Internet

With last week's Supreme Court decision killing Aereo, we now wish to try an attic antenna for our OTA TV. We're in southern New Hampshire 38 miles in the same direction to all the Boston TV towers so I think an attic antenna will work. My questions concern house CATV wiring.

Our 20-year-old home (we've been there a year) is wired for CATV into most rooms. With a half-dozen CATV wires all terminating on the inside garage wall opposite the outside Comcast terminal, it appears all wired rooms run individually from this central spot.

We wish to keep Comcast for internet. The wireless router is in a room where we do not have TV so that room's internet run can be a dedicated line, isolated from the rest of the house's CATV wiring (which I believe is essential... correct?).

Now my core questions. Can I run the attic antenna output cable to the nearest upstairs bedroom CATV plate, and use a splitter there to get that signal into the whole-house TV "network" (except for the isolated internet room)? Or must I run that antenna feed all the way down to the service entry point in the garage and then feed back to the two rooms needing TV? The former would involve way less wiring if it is an acceptable approach. I view the CATV network as a big spider web, and all I need to do is get the signal into the closest point on the web to the signal source in the attic... right?

Thanks for any advice.

hriehl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #2

Hello. You can do what you want to do. If you are not going to have a tv in the room where the attic antenna is coming in, just use an F81 barrel connector. Find the two lines to the two rooms at the demarc, hook them all up with a splitter. You might need to ground that antenna btw, as well as maybe needing an amp, depending on your signal from the air, and the loss to your tv. Good luck.

darkomega69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Basically you need to make the incoming Coax from Comcast with no splitters to the modem. All of the other wiring can stay connected to the splitter that Comcast installed. The Coax from the antenna will go into the "In" side of the splitter.

Just keep in mind that depending on how far you are from the towers. Your mileage will vary on having the attic install.

I can get good signal up to 60 mile away with my setup. I had to use a VHF Hi antenna for one of the locals in my area. A UHF for the others.

Check at tvfool.com for what your local area is like for signals, before deciding to go this route. Initial costs alone to go with a OTA antenna can run anywhere from $200-400, depending on the antenna(s) and pre-amp. Then add in a OTA DVR. Which can cost you upwards of $500 just for the DVR.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

Gregzoll... my core question is must I run from the attic antenna 50 +/- feet down to the garage service feed and then back up to den and bedroom... or can I just tap into the TV circuit at the closest point to the antenna, in a second-story bedroom?

The latter seems to get the signal into the TV circuit with the shortest overall wire run... but I'm asking in case there's some other property about CATV wiring that requires I start feeding the input signal at the home's service feed.
hriehl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

just use an F81 barrel connector.
See darkomega69 response. The coax is just like a pipe, you can run the signal in either end and get it out from the other. Just remember that the passive splitters cause a loss of signal each time they are inserted. If the OTA signal is weak even one splitter may make the output un-usable.
dmclean701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
Gregzoll... my core question is must I run from the attic antenna 50 +/- feet down to the garage service feed and then back up to den and bedroom... or can I just tap into the TV circuit at the closest point to the antenna, in a second-story bedroom?

The latter seems to get the signal into the TV circuit with the shortest overall wire run... but I'm asking in case there's some other property about CATV wiring that requires I start feeding the input signal at the home's service feed.
Did I not state that in my reply. The problem is that you will most likely need an amplifier. That you can get from Solidsignal.com, along with everything else you need (antenna, pre-amp, mount, pole).

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote