DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Cattle waterer 240V - also need 120v! (

2wheelinusa 10-05-2008 04:02 PM

Cattle waterer 240V - also need 120v!
I have a cattle waterer approx. 200' from the loadcenter in the barn. It is wired with 10/2 wg UF wire for a 240V internal heater. I need to install a 100W bulb inside of the waterer to keep the water lines from freezing in the winter. Is there any way that I can tap off the feed for 120V? I know you don't want the ground wire to have return power from the 120V line. Can I install a ground rod by the waterer for the neutral of the light, or maybe use a small subpanel? Thanks

220/221 10-05-2008 04:05 PM


Can I install a ground rod by the waterer for the neutral of the light, or maybe use a small subpanel?
Nope. Not safely.

Find a 240 volt source of heat.

Do NOT use a ground rod as a neutral. That's just a bad idea all the way around.

4just1don 10-05-2008 04:14 PM

Are you REAL sure thats 240 under there?? I have NEVER seen a 240 to a cattle waterer. Lucky to have 110. better check again. they sell 110 tank heaters at every farm store around,,,BUT there are alot of difference between a GOOD one and a cheapo. I have NO financial connection,just happy with there products,,,try this store for your heater needs,,,they work 300 % better and have MORE air flow around them All the cheapos are junk comparatively. forget the bulb idea,,,use one with a thermosat

bobelectric 10-05-2008 04:44 PM

You could use a 240/120 volt xfmr to use a light bulb.

micromind 10-05-2008 04:45 PM

Instead of using a light bulb for heat, consider using heat tape.

If you get the self-regulating type, it comes in 120 and 240, and you can overlap it, leave it in open air, wet, etc. It cannot possibly overheat. It's pretty spendy, but you install it once, then forget about it. It doesn't need to be turned off during warm weather.


InPhase277 10-05-2008 05:42 PM

Others have made good suggestions, but an electrical supplier will be able to get you a 240 volt bulb that can be used in a regular socket, but you need a two pole thermostat or switch to turn it on or off.

muckusmc 10-05-2008 06:39 PM

Just get a 240V bulb at a supply house - We use to use them for commercial Christmas lighting.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1