DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Cat5e FTP Shielding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/cat5e-ftp-shielding-159114/)

Olograph 10-06-2012 12:39 AM

Cat5e FTP Shielding
 
Hello, I just happen to have a roll of ftp cat5e cable and some regular arse plastic rj45 connectors.

The cable has a drain wire and shielding membrane. Here's my questions:

Since I have plastic connectors, should I just cut the drain and membrane off? ...or if you prefer, does it worth it to roll the membrane back and roll the drain around it.

Also, since I won't be using grounded jacks, do I still have an advantage with FTP over UTP? (with shielding)

Thanks a lot.

redman88 10-06-2012 01:06 AM

what is the planed use?

Olograph 10-06-2012 01:10 AM

planed? I don't understand this word in context.

flasherz 10-06-2012 01:12 AM

If you're using standard UTP RJ45 connectors and ungrounded connections, simply cut the shielding and drain back and use as standard UTP cable.

For intra-building use, I believe there is marginal benefit to using STP over UTP even when the connectors are properly grounded, as the applications for TP cabling are becoming more unified and Ethernet is the predominant protocol over TP on internal building wiring. Unless you're trying to run TP cables along with power cables (not permitted in many places), or you have special applications on the TP cabling that can cause alien cross-talk, you will notice very little difference between the two. When you use ungrounded connectors and jacks, the benefit is reduced even more - the shielding will provide some reflection to interference, but it won't be noticeable unless you have special application needs.

(STP can be used in 10 Gbit Ethernet runs in data centers, in which case you'll need fully shielded connectors as well...)

Olograph 10-06-2012 01:18 AM

Thanks so much for the info.

The shielding helps with interferences, but what is the benefit of grounding properly?

Billy_Bob 10-06-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olograph (Post 1024864)
...The shielding helps with interferences, but what is the benefit of grounding properly?

This is a BIG subject...

Long runs of wires in a building can pick up "induced voltages" if run parallel to power lines. And can pick up "damaging to electronics" voltages in the case of nearby lightning strike or EMP. Grounding can reduce or eliminate those problems.

Also some electronic sensors (like medical) can be ultra sensitive to any sort of outside electrical noise, so you would want to totally block all outside noise with a grounded "Faraday cage" type shield.

Here is some information on this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing

See page 4 "Telecommunication Line Transients"...
http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Ap...tes/an9769.pdf

http://www.carebase.com/WP-Effects-O...age-Surges.htm

Note: It may be best to ground a wire run at one end only...
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...shielding.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

curiousB 10-06-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olograph
Hello, I just happen to have a roll of ftp cat5e cable and some regular arse plastic rj45 connectors.

The cable has a drain wire and shielding membrane. Here's my questions:

Since I have plastic connectors, should I just cut the drain and membrane off? ...or if you prefer, does it worth it to roll the membrane back and roll the drain around it.

Also, since I won't be using grounded jacks, do I still have an advantage with FTP over UTP? (with shielding)

Thanks a lot.

Not enough info provided for a meaningful answer.

What speed LAN are you running?
Where residence office commercial industrial?
Typical run length?

If you are running 100M Ethernet in a residence this doesn't matter.... If you are running 600' cable @GE speeds in industrial setting with lots of equipment then you might have problem

Olograph 10-06-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

What speed LAN are you running?
Gigabit 1000mbps

Quote:

Where
Residential, 40x24ft. Cables pass through basement and will probably cross electrical cables.

Quote:

Typical run length?
Max 60ft. Each 4 rooms will have ethernet jack with 2 rj45 keystone.


I guess you might say I don't have to worry too much for my setup. : P : P

Everet 10-11-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olograph (Post 1025113)
Gigabit 1000mbps



Residential, 40x24ft. Cables pass through basement and will probably cross electrical cables.



Max 60ft. Each 4 rooms will have ethernet jack with 2 rj45 keystone.


I guess you might say I don't have to worry too much for my setup. : P : P

Cross, if you are forced to cross, your electrical at a 90 degree angle but don't run parallel to.

UTP, by nature of its twisting, is already pretty immune given the small residential application you've described. FTP is UTP w/ shielding and ground

When you say, "passes through basement" do you mean to say the cable will be inside the home 100% and not making a connection to any exterior, highly conductive electrical materials?

All About Home Electronics.com

Olograph 10-16-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

When you say, "passes through basement" do you mean to say the cable will be inside the home 100% and not making a connection to any exterior, highly conductive electrical materials?
Well, everything remains inside, but the basement is not finished so there's electrical wire everywhere... the electrical wiring is as straight as an iraki road.

Quote:

Cross, if you are forced to cross, your electrical at a 90 degree angle but don't run parallel to.
Thx, I'll try!

stickboy1375 10-16-2012 06:15 PM

Such a waste of money and time....

stickboy1375 10-16-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olograph (Post 1024864)
Thanks so much for the info.

The shielding helps with interferences, but what is the benefit of grounding properly?

Or causes interference.... :wink:

Olograph 10-16-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Such a waste of money and time....

Or causes interference.... :wink:
Please explain your genius : )

stickboy1375 10-16-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olograph (Post 1032282)
Please explain your genius : )

You want to explain what gain you think you're achieving????

Olograph 10-16-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Such a waste of money and time....
Why do you say that

Quote:

helps with interferences
Quote:

Or causes interference....
Why does is cause not reduce.

Quote:

You want to explain what gain you think you're achieving????
The point of the thread is to determine if I will have good shield from my situation (mentioned above).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved