Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cat5e cable, from outside to in...

Hi people

Helping you can help me out with a project I am working on. I need a quick way to connect an upstairs bedroom to our downstairs living room. The shortest route is to drop the line from outside and run it to where I need it. Should be a pretty easy project, however I have never drilled through an exterior wall before.

I cut a hole in the drywall of the bedroom wall where the outlet will be and behind it is insulation covered by vapor barrier plastic. Our house is a cape-cod and the outlet will be installed about 9 inches from a window that overlooks where the roof from the first floor meets the second floor, meaning, if need be I could step out onto the peak of the first floor to drill in but i have a fear of heights so im trying to avoid that. I can reach easily outside the window and drill through the siding into the cavity that I need but im concerned about the vapor barrier. Do I need to drill through it and pass the wire through it or behind it? Concerning the outlet box, do I just cut the vapor barrier to a tight fit and pass the outlet box into it or is there a special procedure for this? The box is about a foot below where the wire will come through the wall, so any tips for pulling it through would be appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance!

massahwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I would not drill outside for a cable like that. Normal cat5 will not last outside.

Measure for a box in the same wall cavity on the first and second floor make hole for boxes and push a fish tape through from upstairs and pull the cable up. You may need a long drill bit to drill through the top plate of the first floor wall cavity though.

Hardway (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #3

I have outdoors rated cat5e cable. Also running wires through our walls creates longer runs which degrades signal and also is not as easy to replace if need ever be.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 6

I doubt the length of the cable in a cape cod would be anywhere near the limit that signal degradation would come into play.
dougp23 (03-02-2012), Hardway (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #5

We have a tv alcove in our living room where our modem and router are located and thats where im running the line to. There is no roof over the alcove so running a wire through the walls to the alcove would still result in running the outside. Running it in the manner I mentioned makes it a straight a shot from the upstairs room to the living room with minimal intrusion to my drywall.

We also have no attic, basement or crawlspace before anyone suggests those...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

Cat5e can be ran 295'. What are you connecting in the other part of the house that can't be run off wireless?

If the device doesnt have a wireless adapter you can either add one, or use a wireless bridge.

Last edited by yogi_bear_79; 03-01-2012 at 02:26 PM.
yogi_bear_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Jack of all - master none

Like others have said, I would not run the cable outdoors like that. If wireless doesn't work for you, a powerline adapter can give you ~200Mbps simply by plugging each end into an electric outlet. If you are doing something where you actually need Gigabit speeds (server to workstation), then I would run the Cat5e inside the house. Putting unnecessary holes in siding is typically better to be avoided.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #8

Its connecting a PDC server to the rest of my network so wireless its out of the question. I actually just went ahead and did it and surprisingly it was really super easy. I wanted to avoid running through the walls, again, because the alcove where i need the cable to go to does not have a ceiling connected to the rest of the house (its an alcove) and therefore it would mean having a wire hanging out somewhere or running it outside like i did. Also, the wire was cheap enough that if it ever wears down i can easily fish a new wire and be done.

At the recommendation of home depot I bought some putty material that plugs the hole around the cable and i used a small enough hole that there is very little gap around it either.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I still would have installed it in the wall with jacks hidden by the floor in both rooms. Creativity with fish tape and a drill can make a nice install.. But sounds like you have it all set. Make sure that seal holds on the bottom or you will home a nice wood rot inside your wall.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #10

Were expecting rain tomorrow so I will be able to check to ensure its sealed good. I put a good amount around both holes so we will see.