Cat5 Wiring For Phone And Internet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cat5 wiring for phone and internet

I have a new house. All the cat 5 wiring leads to a single location in a bedroom. The phone company has not brought in the line from the outside. There is no network interface device installed yet either. There are about 8 cables terminating here in the bedroom. I want to know what do I need to do to interconnect them all to each other so I can use my voip on any phone jack in the house and also have internet in each of the rooms as well. So all i want to do is plug in my VOIP device into a phone jack and plug in my router to a cat 5 jack and have all the jacks live. I am aware the internet requires 2 pairs of the cat 5 while the telephone only requires one pair. Is there some kind of a punch down panel or something I can use to make all of this work? Something like a hub or a switch that uses punch downs instead of rj45's? I really do not want to terminate anything inside of the wall either. Any help would be great.

Advertisement

downtick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

The first question is whether your VOIP devices need to be plugged into a phone jack or an RJ45 (ethernet) jack. I'm going to assume the latter as that is what VOIP is all about lol. So you need to decide whether you want to wire for phone at all.

If you're sticking with ethernet exclusively then you'll want a punch down patch panel:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16831101001

You'd then run 3' cat5 patch cords to your switch.

If you include phone, you'd run them to a standard telephone punch down block.

There is plenty of information on how to do this out there on the net. Just Google "home network ethernet punchdown patch switch" and you'll probably get some good detailed intallation information.

Advertisement

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

so if i do want to include phone, can i get 2 standard punch down blocks (1 for phone, 1 for the internet)? This will interconnect everything at the block?

The voip I have is the new magic jack. It works really well, I am quite surprised, so I will need to connect it to an rj45.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Limited Experience

Rewards Points: 75

I think you're one pair of wires short. If I interpret your question correctly you plan to have the the phone company supply your internet connection. Plus you have a Magic Jack thing for phone service. And you want both spread around the house.

No mater who supplies your internet you will somewhere have a modem which will convert the supplied street signal into an Ethernet connection. From this modem you will need a router to spread the network around your house. The modem may have a router build in.

And while I've never used a Magic Jack I understand it basically puts out a phone line signal as if IT is the phone company. So typically people unplug their phone jacks from the phone company and plug the Magic Jack in somewhere. Then everywhere you have a phone jack the Magic Jack will supply you with phone service. (Large assumptions here.)

And as a note. Phone wires are all tied together physically and networking wires have to use a switch or router with a switch built in as the cross connect.

Now to wiring. To spread the your network around the house (the internet) you'll need to use at least 2 of the 4 pairs in the CAT5 cable for each network connection. But using just 2 pairs will limit you to 10base-T speeds and will likely cause you no end of hassles over the long term. But if you want to go this way you COULD (not recommended) wire 2 of the pairs to a network jack and 2 to a phone jack. In your bedroom you'll need to connect the networking jacks to a switch or router via patch cords and the wire pairs for the phone jacks together and then to the Magic Jack. Look at: http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...&storeId=10051
for the phones.

Now I really really really suggest you DO NOT mix phone and data on the same cable. 100/1000 speed Ethernet requires all 4 wire pairs and soon it may be hard to buy consumer devices that can drop down to 10. Or at least deal with only 4 wires without getting confused. So either put in a wireless router or a wireless phone base station.
raleighthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

10/100 Ethernet connections only require 2 pairs and will not be limited to just 10mbps. I did exactly as described here to make phone and Ethernet possible in a new house that had only 1 cat 5 cable run to each room of the house. Orange/Green pair terminated to a cat 5 patch panel, and the Blue/Brown pairs terminated to a 66 block and were all looped together with every jack in the house. The phone wouldn't really need the brown pair (and the blue pair is traditionally used for the first line voice connection) but if a second phone line was ever needed, the brown pair would already be there and connected.

Last edited by theatretch85; 02-08-2012 at 01:04 AM.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Limited Experience

Rewards Points: 75

You're right. I was thinking of the old discarded 100base-T4 or whatever it was called. But I'd still avoid running phones and data over the same lines.

Especially if a cordless phone setup will work for the house.

1000 speed ethernet will be normal and maybe the only speed supported by many "home" devices at some point in the future.
raleighthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #7

I have it the same way. 6 rooms with cat 5 all terminating to one of the rooms. I want to loop all the phone lines (blue/blue white pairs) together at this central location. Then just plug the magic jack in to any phone jack in the house and have a dial tone at any jack. Can I just interconnect all the blues to each other and do the same with the blue/white as well? Will this work for phone jack part?

I guess I will then use 2 pairs off of the remaining pairs to have internet at all 6 locations as well. My router will be located at the same location so I will just connect each cat5e keystone jack in the wall to the back of my router to supply the remaining 5 rooms. Will all of this work as described?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

With Magic Jack, you just plug it into an outlet, then plug in a cordless phoneset. From there, you would use satellite phonesets for the cordless system. Actually pretty simple. If wanting to use the cat-5e for networking, you will have to get a patch panel, and then you can terminate all the wires like they should be, in a star topology. You will also need a switch if more than four connections, otherwise a router with four ports will work fine, if you are planning a mix of wireless and wired connections.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

You are making this way harder than it needs to be.

Magic Jack interfaces to the PC with a USB connection - at least the one I've seen does. Plug the USB connection into your computer, then plug the main phone of a cordless system LIKE THIS ONE into the magic jack. Now go put the other phones wherever you want, they don't need a jack. You can buy more handsets if needed.

Save the CAT5 cables for network, don't waste any of the twisted pairs on landline telephone. 1Gbps requires all 8 wires in the cat5. I already have home devices that suck over 10/100 speeds and need gigabit for good use, don't sell yourself short for the future.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote