Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Share |

Carbon Monoxide detector

Hello; In a rental single family unit, I already have hard-wired and battery back-up smoke detectors. Now, in California, it is the law to install carbon monoxide detectors. I saw at Home Depot, they have a combination of smoke and carbon monoxide and it is also hard-wired and battery back-up.
The problem is they are very expensive. They are $ 57.00 each.
Now, can I put the cheap battery operated carbon monoxide next to the smoke detectors I already have ?
If this is the case, Where is it required to install carbon monoxide detectors ? In the bedroom ? in the kitchen ? Where ?
Thanks a lot

Gabriel 2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Carbon Monoxide detector

I'm not sure about the regulations on putting a CO detector next to a smoke, but personally, I'd replace the hall smoke with the combo hardwired unit. They can be found for less on Amazon and other sites.

The resaon I'd go this route, is because if the CO detector goes off, it will trigger all the other alarms.

sgip2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #3

Carbon Monoxide detector

Based on my experience, I'd never buy a battery-operated CO detector again. Those things go through batteries like crazy, and make a LOT of noise to remind you to change them. If you don't want to hard-wire it at least get a plug-in one.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

Carbon Monoxide detector

The Calif requirements are one outside each sleeping area, with a minimum of one per story (including one in basement, if you have basement).

So, in a single story ranch style (w/o basement) you could get by with one in the hallway, if all the bedrooms are at one end of the house.

In a rental, I would definitely want to hard wire it, whether it is a stand alone detector or combo unit. I've seen too many battery type smoke detectors in rentals where the renter simply removed the batteries rather than replace them. Hard wire units will squawk until the backup battery gets replaced.

Just as a note, for a single family home (owned or rented) with an attached garage or a fossil fuel appliance (gas range, hot water heater, gas furnace, etc) the implementation date was July 1, 2011.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Carbon Monoxide detector

This article may help you:

http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Carbon Monoxide detector

It is the same way here in Illinois, but 99.99% only have smokes. Out of that, maybe 46% actually have working Smokes. That figure is subtracting Southern IL & Chicago out of the picture, so that leaves anything above I-70 & below I-80.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Carbon Monoxide detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel 2468 View Post
The problem is they are very expensive. They are $ 57.00 each.

No sarcasm intended here, but you realize that Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and toxic gas, and is often referred to as the 'silent killer". When inhaled it inhibits the blood's capacity to transport oxygen throughout the body. It can poison the body quickly in high concentrations, or slowly over long periods of time.

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness and even loss of consciousness, In severe cases, CO poisoning can cause brain damage and death. The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to CO.

My point being, I think $60 dollars is well worth it!

Check with your local officials. In our fire department, we carry a supply of smoke detectors and 9v batteries on our apparatus and will install them for the residents at no charge. We make it a point even before leaving a residents home (most commonly a EMS call) we observe whether or not they have smoke detectors and/or are functioning properly.

fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote