Carbon Monoxide Detector - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Carbon Monoxide detector

Hello; In a rental single family unit, I already have hard-wired and battery back-up smoke detectors. Now, in California, it is the law to install carbon monoxide detectors. I saw at Home Depot, they have a combination of smoke and carbon monoxide and it is also hard-wired and battery back-up.
The problem is they are very expensive. They are $ 57.00 each.
Now, can I put the cheap battery operated carbon monoxide next to the smoke detectors I already have ?
If this is the case, Where is it required to install carbon monoxide detectors ? In the bedroom ? in the kitchen ? Where ?
Thanks a lot


Gabriel 2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 332

I'm not sure about the regulations on putting a CO detector next to a smoke, but personally, I'd replace the hall smoke with the combo hardwired unit. They can be found for less on Amazon and other sites.

The resaon I'd go this route, is because if the CO detector goes off, it will trigger all the other alarms.


sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 645
Rewards Points: 736

Based on my experience, I'd never buy a battery-operated CO detector again. Those things go through batteries like crazy, and make a LOT of noise to remind you to change them. If you don't want to hard-wire it at least get a plug-in one.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Oso954's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 4,878
Rewards Points: 1,610

The Calif requirements are one outside each sleeping area, with a minimum of one per story (including one in basement, if you have basement).

So, in a single story ranch style (w/o basement) you could get by with one in the hallway, if all the bedrooms are at one end of the house.

In a rental, I would definitely want to hard wire it, whether it is a stand alone detector or combo unit. I've seen too many battery type smoke detectors in rentals where the renter simply removed the batteries rather than replace them. Hard wire units will squawk until the backup battery gets replaced.

Just as a note, for a single family home (owned or rented) with an attached garage or a fossil fuel appliance (gas range, hot water heater, gas furnace, etc) the implementation date was July 1, 2011.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Child Alert! Pull Up!
fltdek's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 138
Rewards Points: 75

This article may help you:
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652

It is the same way here in Illinois, but 99.99% only have smokes. Out of that, maybe 46% actually have working Smokes. That figure is subtracting Southern IL & Chicago out of the picture, so that leaves anything above I-70 & below I-80.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Child Alert! Pull Up!
fltdek's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 138
Rewards Points: 75

Originally Posted by Gabriel 2468 View Post
The problem is they are very expensive. They are $ 57.00 each.

No sarcasm intended here, but you realize that Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and toxic gas, and is often referred to as the 'silent killer". When inhaled it inhibits the blood's capacity to transport oxygen throughout the body. It can poison the body quickly in high concentrations, or slowly over long periods of time.

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness and even loss of consciousness, In severe cases, CO poisoning can cause brain damage and death. The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to CO.

My point being, I think $60 dollars is well worth it!

Check with your local officials. In our fire department, we carry a supply of smoke detectors and 9v batteries on our apparatus and will install them for the residents at no charge. We make it a point even before leaving a residents home (most commonly a EMS call) we observe whether or not they have smoke detectors and/or are functioning properly.


fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon Monoxide Detector clark77494 HVAC 21 12-05-2011 02:41 PM
Wired Carbon Monoxide Detector replacement questions Mr Chips General DIY Discussions 10 03-27-2011 08:58 PM
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors user1007 Safety 1 01-14-2010 11:59 AM
Carbon Monoxide Kills TRUSTEDTRADESMEN General DIY Discussions 1 06-23-2008 07:52 AM
Tankless Water Heaters Recalled for Repair Due to Carbon Monoxide shimp Plumbing 1 01-22-2008 06:52 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1