Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Car Audio 8ga Wire vs. Standard Romex Style 8ga

What is the difference as far as real world usage between a 'car audio' cable (thick insulated, 100+ strands) in 8ga vs a Romex style 8ga wire?

I can't find any reason that I could not use it to hook up stuff at the house as it is more temperature, chemical and abrasion resistand...am I missing something?

hibbity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Yes, it is NOT rated for the voltage, NOR is it rated for the application. Individual conductors must be used in conduit, "romex" is cable.
Individual conductors in a raceway MUST be rated for at least the system voltage.

Your mindset is not unique, but it IS flawed. Use the right material for the application.

See NEC 110.3

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Car audio cable is definitely not more abrasion resistant or temperature resistant than THHN, NM, UF, USE, SER, or any other UL listed permanent wiring I can think of. It's only advantage is that it is more flexible and prettier. It is not designed for use in line-voltage applications.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
JOATMON

mpoulton kind of hinted at it......

The main reason is vibration. Solid wire does not do 'well' in high vibration enviornments....subject to cracking. Whereas, stranded wire is much more flexible...and less likely to break under high vibration conditions.

The automobile is a very harsh environment for wiring and elctronics. If you look closely at automotive wiring, the insulation is typically thicker.

Monster Cables is the biggest rip off there is.....Gold plated contacts? Sorry....copper is a better conductor than Gold. The only advantage that Gold has over copper is oxidation.....if you have a gas tight connection then copper does just fine.....

Nickel Beryllium is actually a better contact material to use for low current signals.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote