Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Jack of All Trades

Share |
Question

Can't get f-connectors onto rg-6 quad cable

Okay, I partially rewired my house with new RG-6Q cable today (got a 500' box from Lowes). I have been using Ideal brand RG-6/RG-6Q compression fittings for several years now but that was with my older RG-6 wiring.

I cannot for the life of me get these damn connectors to slide on all the way! I found two methods of prepping these and I tried both; peeling back the top 3 layers...won't work. Cutting off top 2 layers and peeling 3rd...won't work either. No matter what I do I can't get the little metal "sheath" inside the fitting to slide under the mesh.

How can they say these are for both RG-6 AND Quad? What brand of compression f-connectors specifically for quad do you guys recommend? I've read a couple things online about heating the cable with a heat gun, does this work?

DoctorWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
Okay, I partially rewired my house with new RG-6Q cable today (got a 500' box from Lowes). I have been using Ideal brand RG-6/RG-6Q compression fittings for several years now but that was with my older RG-6 wiring.

I cannot for the life of me get these damn connectors to slide on all the way! I found two methods of prepping these and I tried both; peeling back the top 3 layers...won't work. Cutting off top 2 layers and peeling 3rd...won't work either. No matter what I do I can't get the little metal "sheath" inside the fitting to slide under the mesh.

How can they say these are for both RG-6 AND Quad? What brand of compression f-connectors specifically for quad do you guys recommend? I've read a couple things online about heating the cable with a heat gun, does this work?
I have always struggled with quad cable... I will never use it again.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Are you leaving both layers of foil on the cable?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Are you leaving both layers of foil on the cable?
Yes and no, I tried both methods, removing only the outer rubber and peeling both mesh layers and the 1st foil back, and I tried cutting off the 1st mesh and foil layers, and only peeling the 2nd mesh back, still won't go on.

Man this sucks, I was all pumped about getting better signal throughout the house and now I want to rip the cable out of the wall and burn it.

(can you tell I'm easily frustrated when things don't work like they should? )
Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
Yes and no, I tried both methods, removing only the outer rubber and peeling both mesh layers and the 1st foil back, and I tried cutting off the 1st mesh and foil layers, and only peeling the 2nd mesh back, still won't go on.

Man this sucks, I was all pumped about getting better signal throughout the house and now I want to rip the cable out of the wall and burn it.

(can you tell I'm easily frustrated when things don't work like they should? )
You wont get a better signal... just so you know.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
I have always struggled with quad cable... I will never use it again.
I'm sad to say I am starting to agree with you, money down the tubes as usual.

I want to try a quad-specific f-fitting before I give up though. I liked Ideal brand stuff but I'm not impressed by their fittings compatibility with quad.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Have you tried one of these tools?

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...onnector_tools

You screw the connector onto the end and push the cable into the connector using a slight twisting motion.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
JOATMON

Quote:
My thoughts as well....

Just as Monster Cable will not give you better sound.

Since it sounds like your replacing cable due to poor signal....I'm assuming you have one coax coming in and split to multiple cables? If so...are we talking cable service or antenna?

Just so you know, not all splitters are made equal...also note that for a given splitter....each tap accounts for a 3db drop in signal....or in simple terms....a 2 way splitter (1 in, 2 out), each output is down 3db=1/2 power. If you have a splitter with 4 outputs....each tap is 1/4th the power or less......even if nothing is connected.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
I'm just looking for a cleaner signal from it, not a stronger one. Comcast guy said there was a lot of noise, I have a long run from the street (about 150') and it runs right past my transformer and power lines all the way, I can't do anything about the coax up on the lines but I needed to rewire inside the house anyway (house is mostly 1980's era RG-59) so I figured I'd go with quad. Whether it really helps or not? Who knows. My street light is also only a couple feet away from it and the picture fuzzes for a second when it goes on and off (of course the bulb is dying so it does it a lot).

I wouldn't even care that much about the money, just $44, but I already rewired half of it! Never occured to me to try terminating before getting started.

Last edited by DoctorWho; 08-27-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Just so you know, not all splitters are made equal...also note that for a given splitter....each tap accounts for a 3db drop in signal....or in simple terms....a 2 way splitter (1 in, 2 out), each output is down 3db=1/2 power. If you have a splitter with 4 outputs....each tap is 1/4th the power or less......even if nothing is connected.
All I have is a modem tap, then a 3-way splitter and that's all. The modem tap was put in by Comcast so I assume it's a good quality one. I've tried a couple different good-brand splitters just to make sure and they make no difference.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Have you tried one of these tools?

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...onnector_tools

You screw the connector onto the end and push the cable into the connector using a slight twisting motion.
That's the very tool I have. I tried using the end of it to "screw" on a compression fitting but the cable just squishes up instead of sliding in any further.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
JOATMON

Are we talking analog? By now, all of your TV should be digital.

The transformer is not going to have any effect on you......60Hz.....I would speculate that most of your signal is in the 200Mhz to 1Ghz range...

How does the Comcast guy know you have noise? Unless he hooked up a spectrum analyzer or using a SNR analyzer....he is just giving you a line of bull.....I suspect you have a low signal level at your section of the line and he doesn't want to do anything about it.

With that said....the RG6 does have less loss than the older RG59.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
Are we talking analog? By now, all of your TV should be digital.

The transformer is not going to have any effect on you......60Hz.....I would speculate that most of your signal is in the 200Mhz to 1Ghz range...

How does the Comcast guy know you have noise? Unless he hooked up a spectrum analyzer or using a SNR analyzer....he is just giving you a line of bull.....I suspect you have a low signal level at your section of the line and he doesn't want to do anything about it.

With that said....the RG6 does have less loss than the older RG59.
The main advantage of rg6 quad is noise immunity due to the quad shielding. Ingress noise created within the home can hurt the upstream cable signal. The less of it coupled the better.

Maybe you just have rg6 F connectors mislabeled as rg6quad.... Try buying a small pack of another brand f connectors.

Your set top has a diagnostic mode where you can see signal strength. Just google the model number and you'll find the sequence to jump into this mode. You don't need a spectrum analyzer the STop can give reasonably accurate signal readings.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #14

Quad shield cable is terrible to work with, that's one of the reasons no cable company uses it. If I were you I'd try some different compression connectors but do not buy the screw on type your only asking for problems down the road. Your 150' service drop is not far it's actually pretty common, if your still having issues after installing your new rg-6 over the rg-59 you may have low signal at the main service tap and that will need to be adjusted. Also after you have everything wired I would call comcast and have them send a service technician out to connect your new outlets with a good splitter if you use the cheap ones you can buy your asking for issues.
combs&co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by combs&co View Post
Quad shield cable is terrible to work with, that's one of the reasons no cable company uses it.
They all use it. Ingress noise is a major problem for the carrier on the upstream channels. Quad shield is the best defense.

curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote