Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can't figure out which wires

I removed a ceiling fan that also had a light. It was wired to 3 blacks and 3 whites respectively. I replaced the fan with a light fixture. I connected the two wires that came with the light to the 3 blacks and whites. Now I have constant power to the light regardless of the position of the switch on the wall. I used a voltage meter to see which wire has constant power and I did find it. However regardless of what combination I've tried, 2 whites, 2 blacks, etc... I either get constant power to the light or nothing. Help please, getting tired of running up and down the stairs to the breaker panel!!!

cheers

chef44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,024

How many wires enter the box for the switch on the wall and how are the wires grouped (into cables)?

Turn off the power and measure ohms (or continuity) between the various wire ends up in the fan box and the switch terminals with the switch in the off position. (Don't undo any wires without first labeling them so you can put them back the way they were.) A long single conductor wire strung up the stairs will come in handy. This will tell you which wires go to the switch.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ok, I have not opened the switch on the wall yet, so I can do what you suggested. When I opened it and test the wires there what am I looking for? and when I find it what do I do? I do not have a long wire to run up the stairs however.
chef44 is offline   Reply With Quote