Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Canada Bylaw/Electric Code for Lighting input over 300V

Hi all,

I am a new member and I am not an electrician. I have a question regarding Canada's Safety Bylaw. I visited some building in Toronto that has 347V input into the lighting fixture into their parking lot. Let's say they would like to change their lighting system into LED lighting to save energy.

I understand LED can have external and internal drivers. When installing LED, the ballast need to be remove where the LED driver can handle the direct input voltage from the source. LED will be cETL, CSA, or cUL certified.

My question is, when the fixture has a input voltage of 347V, what is the Canadian Safety Code for removing the existing ballast and replacing with LED with internal driver?

I read somewhere that according to Canada bylaw, when working with voltages that are 300 or above can lead to fatality. It is because when two live ends where to touch, the person will unable to detach himself because the voltage is too strong. The bylaw must require installation of an external device (i.e a ballast) when working with voltage 300V or above.

Can someone here provide me reference on this specific bylaw or safety code in Canada?

Is there a site I can go to look up this?

Thanks in advance.

fakejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakejordan View Post
Hi all,

I am a new member and I am not an electrician. I have a question regarding Canada's Safety Bylaw. I visited some building in Toronto that has 347V input into the lighting fixture into their parking lot. Let's say they would like to change their lighting system into LED lighting to save energy.

I understand LED can have external and internal drivers. When installing LED, the ballast need to be remove where the LED driver can handle the direct input voltage from the source. LED will be cETL, CSA, or cUL certified.

My question is, when the fixture has a input voltage of 347V, what is the Canadian Safety Code for removing the existing ballast and replacing with LED with internal driver?

I read somewhere that according to Canada bylaw, when working with voltages that are 300 or above can lead to fatality. It is because when two live ends where to touch, the person will unable to detach himself because the voltage is too strong. The bylaw must require installation of an external device (i.e a ballast) when working with voltage 300V or above.

Can someone here provide me reference on this specific bylaw or safety code in Canada?

Is there a site I can go to look up this?

Thanks in advance.
Why would you be doing this work live? or am I reading this wrong?

Last edited by M Engineer; 08-14-2012 at 09:15 PM.
M Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Engineer View Post
Why would you be doing this work live? or am I reading this wrong?
Sorry for my wording. The work won't be done live. I would like to learn more about the safety code when installing LED light fixture to a 347V input.
fakejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakejordan View Post
Any voltage above about 50V poses a potentially fatal shock hazard. Plenty of people are killed every year by 120V, and it's certainly enough to keep someone from letting go. I have no idea what safety regulation you're referring to or what you mean in describing the requirement for an "external device". But I can tell you that LED retrofits usually require replacing the entire fixture, not just the lamp and ballast. LED retrofits that replace only the internals of the fixture often do not produce very good results because of the different optical and thermal characteristics of LEDs versus traditional light sources. If you replace the fixtures with CSA listed LED fixtures, this becomes a non-issue.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote