Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can you attach ceiling fan to joist?

I laid out installation of four new recessed can lights and a ceiling fan in the middle. Installed can lights and when I went to cut the hole for the ceiling fan I was lined up right on a joist. Rather than moving it to the side 6 inches and making it asymmetrical, is there a way to attach the fans directly to the joist?

maxman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Why not move it so that you can place a fan box between the joists. Really is not going to matter if it is six inches to the right or left.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

I will I have to. Just wondering if there's a common way to put it straight on the joist
maxman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #4

this may work for what you want to do.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19841-53911-CFB-12_4294722500__?productId=3819941&Ns=p_product_qty _sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_ qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=
drwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

drwheels, good for a lighting fixture, not good for a ceiling fan.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Sparky

Rewards Points: 500

That is a fan rated box. The Screw for the fan bracket go directly in to the joist/rafter
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techy For This Useful Post:
jbfan (09-08-2012), stickboy1375 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
greg, before you speak out of turn, you may want to know what you're talking about first.
With that said, you could use a regular box and fasten the fan to the structure.... both are acceptable.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 09-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Techy (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman10 View Post
I laid out installation of four new recessed can lights and a ceiling fan in the middle. Installed can lights and when I went to cut the hole for the ceiling fan I was lined up right on a joist. Rather than moving it to the side 6 inches and making it asymmetrical, is there a way to attach the fans directly to the joist?
Sure, just use a pancake box, either fan rated or regular, if you use a regular pancake box, make sure you secure the fan bracket to the joist.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You don't have any CLUE what you are talking about. That box is specifically made for ceiling fan mounting, complete with larger lag-screws that fasten the fan directly into the joist.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
jbfan (09-09-2012), stickboy1375 (09-08-2012), Techy (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

These work great. I have used this style before. And it is rated for fan, the spec's show 70lbs weight limit, which makes it a fan box.
parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
E2 Electrician

Or use this if your hole is not perfectly centered on the joist.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
You don't have any CLUE what you are talking about. That box is specifically made for ceiling fan mounting, complete with larger lag-screws that fasten the fan directly into the joist.
Again, no I would not use it. And no those are not larger lag screws. And Yes, I have seen a fan pull one out of a joist.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Insatiable Learner

Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by parman View Post
These work great. I have used this style before. And it is rated for fan, the spec's show 70lbs weight limit, which makes it a fan box.
Every application is different. The reason why I would never use this for a fan (even if it is supposedly rated for one) is because it's made out of plastic. I have seen too many plastic boxes/fan nightmares. I was talking with a master electrician for This Old House and he has seen the same, and also will not use plastic boxes with heavy ceiling lights or fans. They are fine when they are new, but after the fan has some wear and tear on it and it gets more and more out of balance it is too much stress for the plastic - and the boxes crack and then break. I'm sure someone must make something like this out of metal though. In fact I'm going to look for one because I might need one for an upcoming project. Being plastic I would only feel safe using something like this if the light/fan was 35 pounds or less. I've seen too many break for it to be a coincidence, and fans are a lot more expensive than a five dollar plastic box, not to mention the possible safety issues. I like Stickboys shallow box option much more.

Just found this one. Look at number 77706. It could hold your mother-in-law (I kid)

It mounts to directly to the joist from the SIDES not the bottom (and it's metal)

Last edited by AngelArs; 09-08-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Saw stickboy1375 shallow box option
AngelArs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
Every application is different. The reason why I would never use this for a fan (even if it is supposedly rated for one) is because it's made out of plastic. I have seen too many plastic boxes/fan nightmares. I was talking with a master electrician for This Old House and he has seen the same, and also will not use plastic boxes with heavy ceiling lights or fans. They are fine when they are new, but after the fan has some wear and tear on it and it gets more and more out of balance it is too much stress for the plastic - and the boxes crack and then break. I'm sure someone must make something like this out of metal though. In fact I'm going to look for one because I might need one for an upcoming project. Being plastic I would only feel safe using something like this if the light/fan was 35 pounds or less. I've seen too many break for it to be a coincidence, and fans are a lot more expensive than a five dollar plastic box, not to mention the possible safety issues. I like Stickboys shallow box option much more.
I think what you might fail to understand is for this type of box or the ones I have used in the past, the box does not support the fan. The box contains the wires. The lag screws are used to screw the fan bracket into the bottom of a joist. This simple combination of electrical box and fan support is quite nice and easy to work with. I would not use the 8-32 screw holes from a plastic box to support a fan bracket. That is not how they are designed.

I don't know about you, but a fan bracket screwed into the bottom of a joist is pretty darn sturdy.

BTW, if you compared the plastic box mounting directions with the metal one you like, you might find they are very similar.
parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Insatiable Learner

Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by parman View Post
I don't know about you, but a fan bracket screwed into the bottom of a joist is pretty darn sturdy.
Everything's relative I've seen those screws left in the joist and the plastic broken box laying on the ground before.

I would think four bolts on the side of the joist (like with number 77706) would out support a bottom joist mounting when it comes to something heavy that's spinning.... There were other mounts in that catalog that would also work better than a plastic box. Personal preference.

Quote:
BTW, if you compared the plastic box mounting directions with the metal one you like, you might find they are very similar.
I'm not so concerned with how they mount, I'm concerned with what they are made out of. I've never seen a metal box break, ever. I've seen plastic ones break though.

Last edited by AngelArs; 09-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.
AngelArs is online now   Reply With Quote