Can It Be The Wiring In My House? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can it be the wiring in my house?

I have a 60 year old home.

We have a 60 watt circuit breaker for our range. It is the only thing on this circuit.

This circuit has never tripped. We had one stove that did have a fire because the wrong burner was turned on. After that the stove never worked 100%. It finally started dieing -- first two burners, then the next two, while the clock dimmed and the oven stopped.

We bought a new stove home. Only the clock and light work, it was a scratch and dent so we thought it was broken. The company exchanged it out. The new one burners and stove do not work. The light and clock does. The exchange out was with a better model.

The circuit breaker is maybe 15 years old-ish but the wire from the circuit breaker to outlet is maybe 30 years old.

Could it be just the outlet messed up to cause this type of "odd" behavior?

Advertisement

ReginaBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,250

If the clock and light work but not the burners it sounds like only one leg of power is working. So your getting the 120 v the light and clock need but not 240 for the burners. Given the previous problems I'd check the breaker, wiring and outlet carefully.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

You can try turning the breaker off and on, sometimes it is possible for one half of a double pole breaker to trip while the other side is still on. Doesn't happen often, but if that's the problem it's a free fix.

Otherwise, you have definitely lost one leg of your power to the stove, meaning one of the two hot wires in the circuit has become loose or broken somewhere.

Also, assuming you mean that you have a 60 AMP breaker for your range, that seems a little high. I think most of the ones I've seen are on a 40 or 50 amp circuit. You'd have to check the range's manual, or the nameplate on the back, to determine what size circuit is required.

The first thing I would do is turn the circuit breaker off, and look at the connections at the receptacle the range is plugged in to.

Are all the other circuits in your house working? Do you have any other 240V appliances, such as an electric dryer, that are still working? If so, the problem is definitely somewhere between the circuit breaker and the stove.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #4

This is the only outlet that has issues other than the one that gets over loaded because the Kitchen was wired were all (except stove) is on one circuit. It does not like having the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, phone, and deep fryer on all at once. That is a different wiring job. We are going to put the fridge on its own circuit.When we remodel.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaBing View Post
This is the only outlet that has issues other than the one that gets over loaded because the Kitchen was wired were all (except stove) is on one circuit. It does not like having the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, phone, and deep fryer on all at once. That is a different wiring job. We are going to put the fridge on its own circuit.When we remodel.
You might as well consider adding more (general use outlets, each on a separate circuit) for the coffee pot, (which the energy-saving models draw around 850w.) toaster oven and food processor. Putting the refrigerator on its own circuit should be a top priority. And, besides it being a code requirement, you'll notice that it starts much easier and performs better.!

Last edited by spark plug; 05-14-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Missing letter/word. (a).
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanks the plain when we remodel the kitchen/bathroom that back up to each other.

Yes, this is stellar post WWII home design. We cannot get to our bathroom plumbing without removing a bunch of tiles or cabinet.

We were going to rewire the stove when we did rest...but it looks like we will do it now.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
You might as well consider adding more (general use outlets, each on a separate circuit) for the coffee pot, (which the energy-saving models draw around 850w.) toaster oven and food processor. Putting the refrigerator on its own circuit should be a top priority. And, besides it being a code requirement, you'll notice that it starts much easier and performs better.!
There is no NEC requirement that a refrigerator shall be on a dedicated circuit. In fact, while it is not too wise, the refrigerator can be on one of the required small appliance branch circuits.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #8

Scary enough, we found out our home is grandfathered into some of these rules........until we change an outlet.

Want to talk plumbing pains?

Gas and phone company were nice they came out and did a lot of stuff free.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Does the Regina in your name have anything to do with Regina Sakasethwan(i messed that up). If so Canadian code requires the fridge to be on its own circuit.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I would start simple, check to see if you get 240v between both hots on the plug. If not, then check them individually against the neutral. One of them should read 120, the other will read 0, that's the one that is broken. In normal circumstances they should both read 120 with the neutral (one at a time), or 240 together. If that works, then the circuit is ok, and it's a problem with the stove. Blown fuse, or something. I believe stoves do have fuses in the back somewhere. Never opened one though, but given some have outlets on em, I would guess there is at least a 15 or 20 amp fuse, and possibly some higher ones for the burners.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #11

No, Regina is my name. LOL
Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
There is no NEC requirement that a refrigerator shall be on a dedicated circuit. In fact, while it is not too wise, the refrigerator can be on one of the required small appliance branch circuits.
In NYC (New York City) there is a requirement by the AHJ. (Authority having jurisdiction).!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #13

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Does the Regina in your name have anything to do with Regina Sakasethwan(i messed that up). If so Canadian code requires the fridge to be on its own circuit.
It's Regina, Saskatchewan. The location, not the person!!!! And you're in Canada!!!!! (Manitoba), Canada.!

Advertisement