Can Switch Work For Two Different Outlets? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 502
Question

can switch work for two different outlets?

Please help Can an existing switch power a new outlet box? I connected a new outlet with 14/2 to an existing switch by removing switch box (only black, white and ground attached) I cut this and then put all 3 black wires together all 3 white wires together and all 3 grounds together from new outlet switch and cable coming into switch box previously. Now the old outlet works in the switches on position an d the new outlet works only in the off position. Do I need to rewire by piggybacking the white (the cable coming in switchbox) to the white on new outlet , then the black (coming in to switch box)to the black on switch and the black on new outlet, then make the white coming from the switch a hot wire( taped w black tape) connect it to the black coming into the switchbox also (that would be 2 hotwires from the switch) , and then connect all 3 grounds together?

from "can switch work for two different outlets?" to

can I dissconnect switch and attach to power new outlet?
since there are only two wires original wires 12/2 coming in switch box , I understand that these are both hot wires (black and white). That means I cannot add on an outlet from this power source. So can I disconnect the switch and use the 2 hot wires coming in the switch box to use as a power source to connect the new outlet? The new wire I am using is 14/2. OR /Also is there a way to maybe make the white (hot wire) not hot anymore by disconnecting it at the opposite end (outlet that was ran by switch) from the hot terminal and putting it on the silver side? Thus making the two wires coming into the switch box 1 white 1 black ( 1 hot 1 not)? Thank you so much for your responses!

At the original switch controlled outlet, you can't simply disconnect the white wire of the switch loop. You will need to rewire the old outlet (light?) so that the loop white wire is connected to the neutral (white) conductor from the power source. Any identifiers used to indicate the white was hot will need to be removed.

Moderator--Please don't ask the same question in different posts--
I'm the new guy here---and now I've pressed the wrong bottom and changed your name---please have a good laugh--I'll find a way to fix this.
o'mike

Advertisement

Last edited by oh'mike; 02-10-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Goof up
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

We need a picture here----sounds like you are using Romex---one of the white wires is not a neutral

it is a power or switch leg----post a picture or a better description of the wiring---

One of the electricians here will sort it out---Mike----

Advertisement

tomiwells (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,904

With only a black and a white connected to the old switch you had a switch loop. There is no neutral in a switch loop. The white should be feeding power to the switch, the black would be the switched hot.

You will need to find another source of power.
tomiwells (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

you need to be clearer in your description, how many 14/2's are in the switchbox, which wires were connected to the switch. If there was only 1-14/2 in the box before, it is only a switchloop (a feed probably the white, and a return the black) you cannot feed a receptacle from this.
If you give us some more info, or a picture you will get more help.
dhubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhubz For This Useful Post:
tomiwells (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Question

since there are only two wires original wires 12/2 coming in switch box , I understand that these are both hot wires (black and white). That means I cannot add on an outlet from this power source. So can I disconnect the switch and use the 2 hot wires coming in the switch box to use as a power source to connect the new outlet? The new wire I am using is 14/2. OR /Also is there a way to maybe make the white (hot wire) not hot anymore by disconnecting it at the opposite end (outlet that was ran by switch) from the hot terminal and putting it on the silver side? Thus making the two wires coming into the switch box 1 white 1 black ( 1 hot 1 not)? Thank you so much for your responses!

Last edited by tomiwells; 02-10-2011 at 12:40 PM.
tomiwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
We need a picture here----sounds like you are using Romex---one of the white wires is not a neutral

it is a power or switch leg----post a picture or a better description of the wiring---

One of the electricians here will sort it out---Mike----

can I dissconnect switch and attach to power new outlet?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #7

Sounds like your gonna have to replace the 2 wire feed to the switch source with a 3 wire or run anotheyour 2 wire from whats switched to the switch to get a neutral in that box.
Once you get a nuetral in the box you can do what you want , be care of boxfill tho, don't over do it n goodluck to you.
PJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PJMark For This Useful Post:
tomiwells (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMark View Post
Sounds like your gonna have to replace the 2 wire feed to the switch source with a 3 wire or run anotheyour 2 wire from whats switched to the switch to get a neutral in that box.
Once you get a nuetral in the box you can do what you want , be care of boxfill tho, don't over do it n goodluck to you.
cannot get into attic Any yway I can bypass the switch all together. Can I use two hotwires to power new outlet or can i disconnect the white power wire from original outlet that was controlled and make it a neutral? There is no option of running another 14/2 or any other wire from original outlet.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,904

You have at least one problem. The 14-2 cannot be used on a 20 amp circuit. You would need to downgrade the breaker to 15 amps to protect the smallest wire in the circuit.

If you were to reconfigure the current wiring you may create a code violation by removing the switch controlled receptacle, unless you added a switch controlled lighting outlet. What room is this in?

Advertisement