Can Someone Identify This Component? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Can someone identify this component?

I apologize if this is painfully obvious and also if this isn't the forum for a question like this, but I wanted to get some feedback before I invest in an electrician. This has been hiding under a faux AC vent in my kitchen forever and I was about to patch the wall right over it. The house was built in 1959 in west central Florida. I have no idea if it's hot or not and am looking for some info on what exactly it is and what purpose it serves before I go poking at it.

Advertisement

michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 292

It's a doorbell chime. The two vertical bars on the sides make the noise. There are two horizontal plungers that hit the bars. The terminals are: Common, Transformer, Front and Rear. Using the front terminal gives a double chime. The rear, just one. You could drywall over it, but it would be better to mount a surface chime and have a working doorbell. Mark

Advertisement

busman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to busman For This Useful Post:
michaeld (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman View Post
It's a doorbell chime. The two vertical bars on the sides make the noise. There are two horizontal plungers that hit the bars. The terminals are: Common, Transformer, Front and Rear. Using the front terminal gives a double chime. The rear, just one. You could drywall over it, but it would be better to mount a surface chime and have a working doorbell. Mark

Don't think so. I would assume it has to be accessible like any other live wiring; even though, it is low voltage.

Why would anyone want to close it in with dw? What if it needed repaired or replaced.

When I first bought this house it had a chime on the wall. I guess sit was from the 50's. It was brass, sure wish I had left it alone. I think it may have just needed a transformer. I knew little to nothing about those kind of things then and removed it. Kept in a building for a few years, and it got ...gone.

Last edited by boman47k; 02-21-2011 at 05:12 PM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Wow, well that certainly solves a few mysteries! 1. Why I've never been able to figure out where the bell sound has been coming from (not that I've tried very hard) and 2. why I only get one chime.

I think I assumed it was something more ominous because of it's location in the kitchen. Thanks for the info. I'll likely either mount a surface chime or find something aesthetic to cover it.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 292

Nobody said it was live. If it is, then yes, you need to disconnect it before abandoning it.

Mark
busman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Nobody said it was live. If it is, then yes, you need to disconnect it before abandoning it.

Mark
Hmm, my bad. I choose to err on the side of caution.

Guewss I should have said if live.

So, can you legally just disconnect and stuff back in wall and cover them up?

Advertisement

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote