Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can someone help me identify this wire

hi.. im looking at a house and found this wire.. my home inspector mentioned it could be aluminum.

i dont see any AL markings.. does anyone know what these "weaved' and coloured wires are?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

thanks

shaner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I'm not sure but I think it might be old time Romex. The orange one has a 2/14 mark on it. 2 conductors, 14ga.

Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #3

It looks like the wires are just above the panel box. If this is the case, open up the panel box and take a photo.

Last edited by adave; 01-17-2011 at 06:34 PM.
adave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

this photo was taken during my home inspection.. i really cannot get back inside.. i've tryed to search the terms on the wire

philex 2/14 NND-7 no results from the internet
shaner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Electrical Supplier

Rewards Points: 150

That looks like old Romex or BX wire (i think) its what I got in my house and mine DOES have a ground bundle in it (like 3 16 ga or so grounds per wire set)

Its hard to judge if it is aluminum or copper just from what you see. Open the panel up.

Your AHJ/Inspectors ALWAYS have the final say on ANY electrical code issue.
If in doubt, contact a licensed, experienced, reputable electrician to perform the work.
LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonsElecSupply View Post
That looks like old Romex or BX wire (i think) its what I got in my house and mine DOES have a ground bundle in it (like 3 16 ga or so grounds per wire set)

Its hard to judge if it is aluminum or copper just from what you see. Open the panel up.
How can you possibly say that might be BX?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Philex could actually mean "Philex Mining Corp. - Phillipene Mining Corp." They mined Copper/Gold ore in the Phillipines http://batangphilexmines.com/historyofphilexmines.htm Now, the Green Sheath wiring could be AL.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
How can you possibly say that might be BX?
I completely agree. I find that statement hard to believe.

That IS old "romex' cable and will not be aluminum. AL was not used in that vintage.

Greg, I have seen that green stuff and is was CU.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Shane, did the Inspector per chance even open the panel and notate the wiring, or any problems in it?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

NMD is a term used in Canada. Are you in Canada? It looks like that panel box is mounted sideways, a common practice up there ...

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner123 View Post
hi.. im looking at a house and found this wire.. my home inspector mentioned it could be aluminum.
Why didn't you ask the inspector, if he was not able to answer you I would be worried on how much the inspector knows. Something like that he should see on a daily or weekly basis.

To me that is old style wire, I have some of it in my 55yr old house.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,232

As mentioned your probably in Canada. NMD -7 was the earlier wiring before NMD -90 was introduced. It is not aluminum to my knowledge. From the looks of newer cabling I would say the load center is relatively new and an upgrade has occureed with at least the panel. I don't believe you have much to worry about.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #13

Thumbs up

I am currently installing a completely new kitchen in a 1960's rambler. Every bit of the wiring used in the home with the exception of the main line coming in from the street is copper.

While tearing out the walls in the remodel, I too found some of this old braded wrapped wire, it was all 12-2 and 12-3 copper. More than likely all of the braded sheathed wire IS copper. Best way to be sure is to pull the breaker panel cover and physically inspect the wire. The inspector should have known better and pulled the breaker panel cover to inspect everything including the main line.

Aluminum wire was not popular for use in residential homes until the late 1960's (around 1965) and when the price of copper began to rise aluminum became the material of choice due to reduced cost. Unbeknown to architects and builders the AL wiring would not be able to handle the current loads of all the new appliances the 1970's would bring to life.

Many a house fire was started and still are started by homes with Aluminum wiring. However this does not mean you will not find Aluminum wiring in homes, hense the main lines (which are stranded not solid core). If you tried to run a main line from the street pole to your main panel the cost would be astronomical no to mention HEAVY! Thie is one reason why Aluminum wire is used as the main line feed.

If you do find there IS ANY Aluminum wiring in your home, PLEASE spend the time and money to rewire the house. It could run you several thousands of dollars (even 10K+) but with all of the high-tech hardware homeowners have now, the old wiring just can't handle the loads. Also in many older homes they used branch circuits to feed multiple areas on just 1 15 or 20 amp breaker. This was fine 40+ years ago, but don't try to operate a toaster, coffee maker, microwave oven, flat screen TV and lighting in the kitchen on that 1 15 amp! Ouch!

Better to be safe than sorry. Electrical is nothing to go cheap on. If you do need to replace some or all of the wiring, use 12 guage, it will handle higher amperage loads. Just remember the rules and don't overload a breaker. It's easier to have a sub panel installed. Best suggestion if you ever decide to finish off a basement to usable living space, but that's another tip.

Hope this information helps.

LowesSuperDude1109
LowesSuperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 512

FWIW, BX is the coiled metal covered wire in this photo.

Bigplanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowesSuperDude View Post
If you do find there IS ANY Aluminum wiring in your home, PLEASE spend the time and money to rewire the house. It could run you several thousands of dollars (even 10K+) but with all of the high-tech hardware homeowners have now, the old wiring just can't handle the loads. Also in many older homes they used branch circuits to feed multiple areas on just 1 15 or 20 amp breaker. This was fine 40+ years ago, but don't try to operate a toaster, coffee maker, microwave oven, flat screen TV and lighting in the kitchen on that 1 15 amp! Ouch!
If aluminum wire is treated properly(useing AL plugs and switches, proper marrets and penetrox(anti ox i beleive it is called as well) you should have no worries with the aluminum. The problem rises when people use copper rated plugs and switches with it that you can have issues.

Although i do agree if you can afford it rewire the whole house even if it is one circuit at a time.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote