Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Home owner

Send a message via AIM to Bootz
Share |

Can some one help me with wiring cabinets for lights?

I want to try and wire the cabinets for lights to be inside the cabinets... like the attractive back lighting? I know I have to keep my dishes and stuff organized once i put the glass face in but I wanted to know how to wire the lights so they would come on with a light switch that is located out side of the kitchen ... the lights i was looking at were the puck lighting fixtures. Does any one have any pictures of them doing this kind of install?

Bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #2

The easiest way for someone to do this without much experience would be to get line voltage puck lights, cut them into the cabinet and wire them with an inline switch and simply plug it into an outlet. If this is the route you don't want to go then you would need to run a switch leg from ur switch box to the cabinet. This might involve cutting sheetrock and spackling

heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlessmcfly View Post
The easiest way for someone to do this without much experience would be to get line voltage puck lights, cut them into the cabinet and wire them with an inline switch and simply plug it into an outlet. If this is the route you don't want to go then you would need to run a switch leg from ur switch box to the cabinet. This might involve cutting sheetrock and spackling
Possibly any pictures of this ? or possibly any other visual aids?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:b...o-EHL-wY5zW6ow

Google china cabinet lighting...click on images and take a peek. Best application for china cabinets are puck lights imho
Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Home owner

Quote:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:b...o-EHL-wY5zW6ow

Google china cabinet lighting...click on images and take a peek. Best application for china cabinets are puck lights imho

Thanks alot I been googling a lot so I have been just looking to see if anyone has had any hands on experience with this one.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Home owner

I Been reading couple of articles and does anyone recommend any type of voltage for the puck lighting? I see low and high... as well as some hard wired through a transformer of some type and some that are not... can some one help me figure out what would be the best puck light to install inside the cabinet and what kind of techniques there is to install?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #7

The choice is yours wether u want line(high) or low voltage lights. The cheaper route is line voltage. If u go with low voltage, ur going to need a transformer and an enclosure. I believe the hole saw size is 2 3/8, but it might be 2 1/8. As for installing them, found out where u want them, mark the area off with blue masking tape, mark center and hole saw it out
The Following User Says Thank You to heartlessmcfly For This Useful Post:
Bootz (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Home owner

Quote:
The choice is yours wether u want line(high) or low voltage lights. The cheaper route is line voltage. If u go with low voltage, ur going to need a transformer and an enclosure. I believe the hole saw size is 2 3/8, but it might be 2 1/8. As for installing them, found out where u want them, mark the area off with blue masking tape, mark center and hole saw it out
Thanks a lot for the help on that .. seeing a lot of products so far that really do not help with the making of that decision is line voltage... any way is there any type of wire that I should look at to wire this stuff together? i mean I have six cabinets to wire together...
Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #9

6 lights in 1 cabinet or a few lights in 6 cabinets? If u go with line voltage, mark where the centers will be, cover with blue masking tape and remark centers. Hole saw lights out. Run light wires to a junction box (1900 box). Come outta box with a piece of 16/2 lamp cord. Put an inline switch on the wire and put a male 120volt plug on the end and plug in and ur done. When splicing the wires in the box, take a lead from each and splice together and do the same for the remaining lead. Any other questions, gimme a holla
The Following User Says Thank You to heartlessmcfly For This Useful Post:
Bootz (11-26-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

A tip here if you want to stay with indentscent bulbs go with Xenon type they are cooler than halogen type { they will be slightly dimmer than halogen for simaur wattage } but more softer light.

otherwise LED is other good choice but myself I don't have very much experince with LED in the cabent set up yet but did the undercounter top IMO they are ok as long you have mattie surface { not the shiney or reflective surface }

But only quirk I have dealt is colour itself it will be not the same as Xenon or Halogen is.

Just make sure you don't go crazy with wattage rating espcally on low voltage verison.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
Bootz (11-26-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
A tip here if you want to stay with indentscent bulbs go with Xenon type they are cooler than halogen type { they will be slightly dimmer than halogen for simaur wattage } but more softer light.

otherwise LED is other good choice but myself I don't have very much experince with LED in the cabent set up yet but did the undercounter top IMO they are ok as long you have mattie surface { not the shiney or reflective surface }

But only quirk I have dealt is colour itself it will be not the same as Xenon or Halogen is.

Just make sure you don't go crazy with wattage rating espcally on low voltage verison.

Merci,
Marc
awesome man :D thank you so much for your input man! much appreciated! I was actually going to go for the Puck lighting.. seems to be pretty adequate with the light distribution

Quote:
6 lights in 1 cabinet or a few lights in 6 cabinets? If u go with line voltage, mark where the centers will be, cover with blue masking tape and remark centers. Hole saw lights out. Run light wires to a junction box (1900 box). Come outta box with a piece of 16/2 lamp cord. Put an inline switch on the wire and put a male 120volt plug on the end and plug in and ur done. When splicing the wires in the box, take a lead from each and splice together and do the same for the remaining lead. Any other questions, gimme a holla
Yea 6 cabinets actually:D I have 6 cabinets and was thinking along the line of doing the puck lighting at the top of each... Know how I should attack this one? I have a pretty good idea how to do it maybe but the thing is the top of the cabinet is not open its actually closed... If I want to wire this to a light switch of some kind that is actually on the wall before i go into the kitchen ... mind giving me some idea of how to do this?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Bootz.,

There one item I know it will click to my head real quick is the wiremold products they can do good job hide the wire and they will sell in both metal and plastic verison and yes they are avabile at the big box store or electrical supply centre (only if you need oddball items which big box store don't stock it )

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Bootz.,

There one item I know it will click to my head real quick is the wiremold products they can do good job hide the wire and they will sell in both metal and plastic verison and yes they are avabile at the big box store or electrical supply centre (only if you need oddball items which big box store don't stock it )

Merci,
Marc
Thank you so much
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Still going...

Not sure of where you were planning on getting the lights but I bought mine from IKEA. Inexpensive so you can get a few of them. I am going to post in my Project showcase an upgrade I am doing to make them dimmable!

The low voltage are "electronic" transformer so requires a special switch.

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote