Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #1

Share |

Can NM be used?

I was recently reading the code on where you can use NM. Not long after that I paid a visit to a friend that has a horse barn and I noticed that it was wired using NM. The barn (stable or whatever you want to call it) was built within the last ten years and it was wired by electricians. I was under the impression that that would be against code due to a corrosive environment.

I don't know if it matters, but the majority of the wiring is about 12 feet from the floor and nailed to the trusses. This is mainly for lighting.

Isn't this a code violation or am I missing something?

Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #2

Can NM be used?

I do not have my Code Book in front of me for direct reference but the jist of it is that NM cannot be used were exposed to damage (ie. tools, elements, corrosion, etc)

So to answer your question, yes it is against code and was probably done by a subpar electrician who didn't pull a permit. Of course if there was a permit maybe the inspector decided to be blind that day!

mccabegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #3

Can NM be used?

I thought it was a violation. But if anyone else has any input let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #4

Can NM be used?

Wet/damp locations and subject to physical damage is where you DO NOT use NM. In the circumstance you reference, conduit would have been my choice.

Check Article 334.12.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
DIYer

Can NM be used?

It's entirely possible that barns are not subject to the NEC in your area. This is the case in some rural areas.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Can NM be used?

I am fairly certain there is a specific section of the NEC code that covers barns specifically where live stock will be at any time. I believe the code requirements are more stringent with livestock present than just as a stoarge barn or workshop. But in any case romex is not suitable for use in any area where physical damage is possible and in wet or damp locations.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
DIYer

Can NM be used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
I am fairly certain there is a specific section of the NEC code that covers barns specifically where live stock will be at any time.
It's up to the state and the locality whether to use the NEC at all. Some places have decided to make agriculture largely exempt from the NEC, including barns.

It's not universal and usually there are specific requirements for an inspection exempt barn that vary from place to place. (like not being too close to a place where people live, etc)
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #8

Can NM be used?

If I were to wire the barn it would have been in conduit also. There were/are about 8 horses and the barn is entirely enclosed so it wouldn't be any different than NM installed in a garage as far as moisture is concerned. Like I said earlier most of the wire is about 12 feet off the floor so in my opinion it would be somewhat protected. I know there are some receptacles too, but I don't remember how those were wired.

Oh well. What's done is done no matter why it was done that way. I know for a fact the owners aren't going to have it redone anyway.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Electrician

Can NM be used?

This is simple, NM type cable can ONLY be used in ONE and TWO family dwellings, or Multi-family dwelling... structures of type III, IV, V, Cables shall be concealed behind a 15 minute finish rating....

Also, check out Article 547 Agricultural Buildings, 547.5 Wiring Methods.

Last edited by chris75; 01-28-2009 at 06:36 PM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #10

Can NM be used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
This is simple, NM type cable can ONLY be used in ONE and TWO family dwellings, or Multi-family dwelling... structures of type III, IV, V, Cables shall be concealed behind a 15 minute finish rating....
But what about the wiring in the garage? It isn't protected by anything and I have seen this countless times over the years - or were you talking about structures of type III,IV,V?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #11

Can NM be used?

Oh, and what kind of material would be included in the 15 min rating? Drywall? Plywood?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Electrician

Can NM be used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
But what about the wiring in the garage? It isn't protected by anything and I have seen this countless times over the years - or were you talking about structures of type III,IV,V?
What type of garage? attached or detached?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Electrician

Can NM be used?

Quote:
Oh, and what kind of material would be included in the 15 min rating? Drywall? Plywood?

What ever product meets the 15 min finish rating.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #14

Can NM be used?

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in both.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #15

Can NM be used?

Quote:
Just because it exists does not make it safe or compliant. The objective of this forum is to give/discuss safe and NEC compliant advice. You can take the advice or not take the advice. It's your call. But we must tell you things sometimes that you do not want to hear.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote