Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Can lights, wall switch and BX (in Chicago)

Hi all, yet another question for the Chicago crew. I'm putting in recessed lighting in a gut/remodel job in my basement. As far as I understand, BX is fine to link the can lights together. Now, what about the connection to the wall switch? I'm really hoping I don't need to run thinwall here.

Oh, and just to complicate the matter, I'm actually going to tie in through a 1900 box holding a wall sconce light. So the switch is running thinwall to the 1900 box, but I would like to run BX from the 1900 to the first can light. Looking forward to the answers

Tx!
alvanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Union Electrician

I'll double check on the language but I believe you'll have to use thinwall on everything. BX is generally used for finished walls where you have to fish it. You can use BX elsewhere, but not in lengths greater than 6 ft. Again, let me check back with the exact language.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
GDI

If your in a drop ceiling you can use three wire 6' greenfield whips to connect the cans. Otherwise you've got to use conduit.
BrntWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
I'll double check on the language but I believe you'll have to use thinwall on everything. BX is generally used for finished walls where you have to fish it. You can use BX elsewhere, but not in lengths greater than 6 ft. Again, let me check back with the exact language.
Look forward to your finding Goose, many thanks! Looks like I'm gonna get more than I hoped for though, I was pretty sure that BX was allowed to chain the can lights, but I'll do it the right way, if the Chicago code says otherwise!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Union Electrician

OK, in existing walls where you need to fish, you are OK to use BX. I will cite Chicago Code 333.3 ...Type AC shall be permitted for exposed work only under the following conditions:
(1) In lengths not more than 2 ft long at terminations where flexibility is necessary.
(2)In lengths not greater than 6ft. in accessible, but not habitable, attics and roof spaces where installed in accordance with Section 333.12;
(3) In lengths not greater than 5 ft. below the basement ceiling joists where it is necessary to connect a cabinet or junction box.

Bottom line: I think you've got to pipe it. Any questions on that I can definitely help.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
OK, in existing walls where you need to fish, you are OK to use BX. I will cite Chicago Code 333.3 ...Type AC shall be permitted for exposed work only under the following conditions:
(1) In lengths not more than 2 ft long at terminations where flexibility is necessary.
(2)In lengths not greater than 6ft. in accessible, but not habitable, attics and roof spaces where installed in accordance with Section 333.12;
(3) In lengths not greater than 5 ft. below the basement ceiling joists where it is necessary to connect a cabinet or junction box.

Bottom line: I think you've got to pipe it. Any questions on that I can definitely help.
Thanks Goose. Now, this "is" my basement I'm remodeling here, so does that fall into the section (3) exception you listed above? Wouldn't can light to can light fall into the "connect a junction box" category? Or am I just in denial? *LOL*
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #7

One other clarification ... Technically, I'm not in Chicago, I'm in a Chicago suburb (Buffalo Grove). I've always assumed the code was pretty synonymous, but now I'm looking at the BG code (it can be found here: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com...CAL_CODE_.html, and I can't find anything relating to this either way. To be honest, the language is cryptic to me. The only reference to Armored Cable is in article 333, which states "Not Enacted by Reference." What does this mean? And the only reference to EMT is in article 348.1 which is more of a "what EMT is not to be used for section." None of the code references Chicago code, only the 1996 NEC. This is all a bit ambiguous to me, so any light you can shed would be entirely appreciated! Thanks again so much Goose

Last edited by alvanos; 03-02-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Union Electrician

The document you are looking at are the changed portions of the NEC for the 1996 cycle. I'm not sure what code cycle Buffalo Grove is actually using. But they would be using the NEC, not Chicago code. Which means you can definitely run BX. Chicago code is only enforced in city limits (as far as I know).