Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

can light

Can I build a box over can light out of ductboard to stop air penetration it is an IC new work style. Also metal junction boxes. I Live in Texas.

Bnoakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

can light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnoakes View Post
Can (should) I build a box over can light out of ductboard to stop air penetration...
NO.

Get up into the attic, remove the fixture, safe the wire...
THEN close up the hole any way that suits you.

hth

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

can light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnoakes View Post
Can I build a box over can light out of ductboard to stop air penetration it is an IC new work style. Also metal junction boxes. I Live in Texas.
Not sure I understand your question?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

can light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
NO.

Get up into the attic, remove the fixture, safe the wire...
THEN close up the hole any way that suits you.

hth
I believe he wants to insulate the fixture from air penetration, not remove it.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

can light

i think the op doesn't want to remove the existing cans, just reduce the airflow between the living space and the attic. Personally, I would use IC air-tight fixtures with air-tight trim rings, and then pile the insulation in the attic. I've heard of some folks inverting empty styrofoam coolers over the fixtures in the attic space, but since the JBs must be accessible, you can't really permanently install the coolers. The same would be true for any enclosure fabricated from material like ductboard.
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

can light

For IC cans, they make a cover that goes over them, then you seal with foam in the can or caulk. Also, there should be enough insulation in the attic, that even without the cover, the insulation should be sufficient for the part of the country that you live in. Suggest also getting enough DAP foam in the cans, and go around and seal around windows, outlets, switches, and any doors that have not been properly insulated.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #7

can light

There are products called "rose cones" for protecting rose bushes in harsh weather. They are round styrofoam devices which I believe could be altered to cover the lights. If it's IC rated it's allowable to cover it with insulation. Perhaps a box made of insulating material would be a better solution. Is it access to the light that you wish to maintain, or just air infiltration which is your issue?

Last edited by Missouri Bound; 12-27-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: more info
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

can light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
For IC cans, they make a cover that goes over them, then you seal with foam in the can or caulk. Also, there should be enough insulation in the attic, that even without the cover, the insulation should be sufficient for the part of the country that you live in. Suggest also getting enough DAP foam in the cans, and go around and seal around windows, outlets, switches, and any doors that have not been properly insulated.

I too live in TEXAS, OP.

Another thing that you could do, is get a quality foam that is rated for high temps and place it on the bottom lip of the can that's sit parallel to the ceiling dry wall. Again, I stress that you make sure it's rated for high temps.

Also, I found that around plenty of device boxes that there were large gaps between the box and drywall. I used a DAP product with good results, and it was easy to apply.

Yet another source of air leaks, I found that the vents from the HVAC also had poorly cut holes in the drywall allowing air leaks. I used the same DAP product, and also used a rated thermal tape(no foil tape) to seal around the register and drywall.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...=20&SubcatID=4

After all was said and done, a blower door test was performed. I dont recall the total size of all air leaks combined, but I was told that I could have 5 times the number of leaks and still be "energy star" qualified.
Sounded good to me! Ha.
I made it through this year's 100F+ days for 30+ days with my electrical bill floating around $120 in a 2,100 Sq Ft home.

Last edited by fuzzball03; 12-28-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typos/Grammar
fuzzball03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
In a little over my head

can light

Like this?
http://insulation.owenscorning.com/h...ucts/smartcap/
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #10

can light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
If your goal is to seal, I dont think this will get you the results you're looking for.
it states it's vented to "allow heat to escape"

The real benefit of that is for people that have non-ic rated can lights so that they dont need to worry about the insulation causing a fire.

fuzzball03 is offline   Reply With Quote