DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I use a simple on/off switch?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
I have a dimmer switch at by work that recently broke. The switch itself broke and I glued it back but it's not a good fix. I will have to replace it this week with a new switch. The dimmer switch that's on there currently is an Lutron Nova N-2000 ($120)

There are about 20 LED bulbs on the circuit and the dimmer feature doesn't work, since they are LEDs they flicker instead of dimming. We don't need the dimmer feature anyways.

Basically I am thinking of getting a simple on and off switch without the dimmer feature for a couple bucks at the store but just not sure if that's compatible. Do I really need to replace it with another Lutron $120 switch? Or will something basic do the job?

#5 ·
Yes...a switch will work....but it might work even better if you use the right dimmer.

The N2000 is for incandescent lamps only....it most likley uses a chopper to reduce the light...basically the chopper is a semiconductor that turns on proportionally for the duration of a power cycle. Inexpensive and reliable....you don't see the flicker in incandescent or halogen bulbs because the filament can not respond that fast....

Different story with LED's. You have to electrically reduce the voltage to the lamps....

The proper dimmer would be NF10 according to the web site. That is assuming your using 120vac lamps. If you were not using 120vac lamps, we would not be having this conversation because all of your lamps would be burned out.

#6 ·
if they were originally incandecants then it'll be a 120V switch, has to be commercial grade though so the 50 cent cheapo at HD isn't going to work.

some of downtown toronto is 277V, mostly the older buildings.Also alot of buildings in alberta are u.s voltage too. I'm sure at some point in trade school they told us why we use 347/600 instead of 277/480 but that's way too far back to remember.

I can't see it just beeing a simple fact of being able to downsize wire a bit and put more lights on a circuit. Voltage drop improves as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.