Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Can I use a simple on/off switch?

I have a dimmer switch at by work that recently broke. The switch itself broke and I glued it back but it's not a good fix. I will have to replace it this week with a new switch. The dimmer switch that's on there currently is an Lutron Nova N-2000 ($120)

There are about 20 LED bulbs on the circuit and the dimmer feature doesn't work, since they are LEDs they flicker instead of dimming. We don't need the dimmer feature anyways.

Basically I am thinking of getting a simple on and off switch without the dimmer feature for a couple bucks at the store but just not sure if that's compatible. Do I really need to replace it with another Lutron $120 switch? Or will something basic do the job?

R083RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes, that will work for your application.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,126

Just be sure of the voltage. You said at work, Common commercial building lighting volts are 277 volts or 347 in Canada.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Just be sure of the voltage. You said at work, Common commercial building lighting volts are 277 volts or 347 in Canada.
Most of ours are 277V. I wonder why we do not use that much 347V.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,498

Yes...a switch will work....but it might work even better if you use the right dimmer.

The N2000 is for incandescent lamps only....it most likley uses a chopper to reduce the light...basically the chopper is a semiconductor that turns on proportionally for the duration of a power cycle. Inexpensive and reliable....you don't see the flicker in incandescent or halogen bulbs because the filament can not respond that fast....

Different story with LED's. You have to electrically reduce the voltage to the lamps....

The proper dimmer would be NF10 according to the web site. That is assuming your using 120vac lamps. If you were not using 120vac lamps, we would not be having this conversation because all of your lamps would be burned out.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

if they were originally incandecants then it'll be a 120V switch, has to be commercial grade though so the 50 cent cheapo at HD isn't going to work.

some of downtown toronto is 277V, mostly the older buildings.Also alot of buildings in alberta are u.s voltage too. I'm sure at some point in trade school they told us why we use 347/600 instead of 277/480 but that's way too far back to remember.

I can't see it just beeing a simple fact of being able to downsize wire a bit and put more lights on a circuit. Voltage drop improves as well.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Most of ours are 277V. I wonder why we do not use that much 347V.
Much of the USA industrial three phase voltage is 480. That derives to 277 per phase.
In Canada we more often use 600 volt systems. That derives to 347 per phase.

Tags
cheap, dimmer, led, lutron, switch