DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I use a 20amp outlet receptical on a 15amp circuit?

68K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Can I use a 20amp outlet receptical on a 15amp circuit?

I have a power strip I need to configure and it has a t plug on it like this one:
http://cache.smarthome.com/images/4541w.jpg
(the power strip itself wont be using more than 1 amp, as I will have nothing plugged into it.)

I can I replace my 15amp receptical with a 20amp one, or is that generally a no no?

#9 ·
I dont think that a light switch would matter. The reason for the receptacle is you have someone come into your house to do work. But they need a 20 amp receptacle for there tool. And you have a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit well they are going to look at the 20 amp receptacle and say well there is 20 amps I will plug into that. You dont want them to mess up anything. Its basicly saying you have more power there than you really do.

#11 ·
Thanks! I replaced the switch and a power outlet without starting a fire or electrocuting myself, which for me is a big accomplishment since I am a home improvement idiot. :)

Thanks again for the help.

PS. for the 20 amp receptical I put in it my laundry room, which had the outlets on a 20 amp circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.