Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

can I swap a (3) 60watt unit into a spot where I have a (1) 60watt unit?

My outside light is just a single 60watt bulb, and I got a new lighting unit that is (3) 60 watt bulbs - can I just connect it the same way the other unit was connected?

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

As long as it is on a 15 amp circuit there should be no problems.

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #3

How would I tell that?

I did what I think I needed to to check it - I went to my main box that has all the fuses and whatnot, and the lowest number on any of them was 15, so does that mean I'm in the clear? (please excuse my electrical ignorance!)
Old 07-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Not being there to check it my self I can only give you my opinion. I would say under normal circumstances you are probably 99% with no problems Just for the knowledge turn the light on, then start turning off circuit breakers off and back on till you find the one that turns OFF that light. Keep it off and go thru your house and find out everything that is now OFF. That will tell you if only a few things are on that circuit. Things that should NOT be on that circuit would be your refrig, in some states a hard wired Micro wave.As long as you dont find out that 3/4 of your entire house is on that circuit should be no probs. Your total amp draw is only 1.8
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #5

Killer! I'll keep ya'll posted with results.

The main problem, aside from the electrical, is the installation.

We currently have a wall mounted entrance light at the front door. I just stucco'd my exterior, and stucco'd AROUND the wall's light, instead of removing it and stucco'ing it.

The unit I got, I just HAD to buy. It's a nice brushed nickel, 3 bulb unit, that was $50, but on clearance at hd for $14!!!! I couldn't turn that up, but the problem is that it's a ceiling mount, not a wall mount. So this'll be a problem, cuz I've gotta figure out how to get the wires where they need to be, and figure out a way to cover that hole where the old light was.....

I'll post back with a link to 'project showcase' once this is up and running, but any tips on the aforementioned issues would be great! (i'm thinking I could cover the old light's spot with house numbers maybe... we'll see!)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

Is this a fixture rated for exterior use? Or, I guess I should say damp or wet locations?
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #7

I'm unsure about any rating systems, but it is an outdoor fixture (also, It will be hung under my front awning closer to the wall/house, so it shouldn't ever get more than a tiny mist, if anything).
Old 07-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

It is still a damp location. Outside is either damp or wet. The NEC and UL do not recognize any outside location as "dry". Humidity, etc.

Without seeing the porch, I can't say the best way of running wire to the new location. I assume you don't really want a surface raceway?
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"

Last edited by JohnJ0906; 07-29-2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: re-reading post 7
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #9

Dunno what you mean by surface raceway?

I attached a pic of our front awning/entrance. You can see the original light, I'm basically planning to remove that, run the wire back into the wall, up into the awning's insides, and then straight down from teh awning into the lamp (which will be flush mounted on the ceiling there).

I just looked over teh entire box, and all the instructions, and they didn't say anything about wet / humid. I also tried to find it on the website to link it, but it's not there anymore (probably discontinued, as it was on clearance at home depot for $14 from $50). It's a hampton bay outdoor ceiling flush mount, model # 395 065. Is there a code or something near the UL that would indicate what type it is?
Attached Thumbnails
can I swap a (3) 60watt unit into a spot where I have a (1) 60watt unit?-columns.jpg  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #10

problem - I guess I thought above the awning would be accessible once inside the attic, but it's not..... Don't know how on earth I'm gonna be able to get a wire to come down through the awning if I can't access inside of it!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
retired

Rewards Points: 75

At this point I'm going to recommend you get an electrician to help you out as it sounds like you are moving in quite unfamiliar territory.

What you want to do is not just a simple "grab a wire and move it to another place." You will have to extend the wire from the current light box and since this is outdoors there are more restrictions than if you're doing it inside the house.

What you want to do can be done, but you will have to make choices between aesthetics and cost. This ain't gonna be a cheap job if you want it to be pretty! Sorry. You can do it fairly cheap by running conduit on the outside of the wall and ceiling, but your better half might say it looks like, well, you know what!

You can probably give this fixture away and buy and install a new fancy dancy wall fixture for less money than wiring in this new ceiling fixture.

Wouldn't be the first time one of us found out a "bargain" --- wasn't.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #12

Oh I can just return it, I wasn't sure if it would work, but it was the finish type I like (brushed metal, nickle I think), and was on sale for 14 from 50, so I had to buy it!!

Gonna have to think a lil more about this... We'll see I guess! As always, I'll keep posted and hook up the pics!