Can I Run Romex Across Garage Wall? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I run romex across garage wall?

I need to extend a hot 12-2 line in my garage. Right now it terminates on the right side wall. The wall in the past was the exterior of the house and is clapboard siging over 1" rough cut sheathing. The other side of the wall is finnished sheetrock.

I want to extend the wire about 6 feet. Can I put a junction box there and run romax in a 6 foot horizonal run on top of the clapboard to the other junction box I need it at? If not, can I use a armor coated cable or conduit maybe?

Snaking the wire in the wall looks very hard and I want it to be my last resort.

Thank you!

Advertisement

heyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

AFAIK, you cannot run romex outside of a wall unless it is armored. The wires need to be protected by something - usually the wall.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Normally in Garage if you run the romex cable horzontally it have to be protected by either use the studs like run up and go over the trusses then back down or in MC cable { this one of few items I will allow it } otherwise conduit if surface mounted.

But IIRC once over 7 or 8 foot level then there is no restriction { I have to check this part to make sure }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote